Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AAC 5.56 Ammo Evaluation

Feedback Score

AAC 5.56 Ammo Evaluation

So the AAC 5.56 is US made brass case 5.56x45 NATO with 55gr. FMJ. I bought some to test out because $.40/rd for US brass case is pretty good in today's market, especially when sold in 20rd boxes.

I got real curious and decided to really dive into the ammo with disassembly and component inspection, velocity data and an accuracy/precision evaluation. PDF attached with the write-up and photos. Feel free to share, just please don't repost without crediting or attributing.

TLDR - decent US made 5.56 ball for a good price

AAC 5.56 NATO - Evaluation.pdf

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    AAC is branding ammo huh? What's the headstamp?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    So that's the funny thing. Both AAC (Advanced Armament Company) the suppressor company and AAC (America's Ammunition Company) the ammo company are owned by the same holdings company that owns PSA among others. I break it down a bit in the PDF.

The headstamp is "AAC 5.56 NATO", pics in PDF.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interesting. I wonder how the availability will be.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Another USA Ammo manufacturer is definitely a good thing.
    Hopefully at some point they’ll sell primers….

Appreciate your effort.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Thanks for the writeup.

Ever look at ammo and wonder if the brass is as bad as the ammo? Even my hastily reloaded garbage and Tula have consistent projectiles.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Thanks for the writeup.

Ever look at ammo and wonder if the brass is as bad as the ammo? Even my hastily reloaded garbage and Tula have consistent projectiles.
    You're quite welcome, it was a fun little project. I'll probably do one again but make improvements on the process from what I learned this first time around.

Though not pretty, the brass does look good. I'll process it the next time I'm ready to run a load through the tumbler and see what we get. Even with two different projectiles, I'm OK with how they shot. I'll buy more, even if just for range fodder.
    Last edited by .46caliber; 10-12-22 at 21:27.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Interesting. I wonder how the availability will be.
    I've been keeping an eye on it. It comes and goes. I've not seen it unavailable for more than a day or two. I think Atlantic just recently sent an email blast out about a big shipment they received.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If it shows up locally, I might grab a box to play with. But anymore... we never shoot 55 gr FMJ. Heavier stuff is easier on the steel targets.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    That velocity is better than what Buffman had recorded it but it could be a difference in lots and/or environmental conditions at time of the test.

Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast