Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: AAC 5.56 Ammo Evaluation

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Best thing to do...I wouldn't want to waste the powder either.
    Now I have to go chrono ANOTHER freaking load. It'll be just right, I'll load 200 more rounds, then it'll start acting up and malfing guns. Complete torture.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    ***I have this cross posted elsewhere, but figured I'd drop this here to add to the information that others are providing.***

I had a chance to chrono the AAC 77gr TMK and directly compare it to some 2018 manufactured Black Hills 77gr TMK. I didn't have a chance to focus on shooting groups, but the ACC had most rounds touching at 50 meters. Black Hills wasn't quite as tight, but that could've been on me.

Here's a few pictures of the AAC next to the Black Hills for comparison.

Chronograph: MagnetoSpeed V3

Temperature: 75.9°F

Barrel: Centurion Arms 12.5" Lightweight Hammer Forged (Carbine). Surefire SF3P flash hider w/ Surefire Mini 2 Suppressor.

AAC chronograph results:

1. 2488
    2. 2491
    3. 2484
    4. 2469
    5. 2512
    6. 2483
    7. 2466
    8. 2505
    9. 2499
    10. 2496

Average: 2489

Standard Deviation: 14.6

Lot Number: SCL1CF051

Black Hills chronograph results:

1. 2575
    2. 2626
    3. 2566
    4. 2565
    5. 2575
    6. 2557
    7. 2567
    8. 2563
    9. 2589
    10. 2606

Average: 2578

Standard Deviation: 21.9

Obviously not a huge sample size, but hopefully this means they figured out what was going on before rolling out the TMK.
    FWIW.. from my 20" Krieger 1n7.7 Wylde Chamber
    Chrono data from the AAC 77gr TMK
    Av. 2736fps, SD 21.5fps

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I finally tried some of the reduced load in my Wylde chamber. Primer popping and malfunctioning for sure. No surprise that the Wylde chamber would hate this crap too.

I did get a cream puff 62 gr blaster load so I can at least get some usage from the powder from the AAC ammo.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I finally tried some of the reduced load in my Wylde chamber. Primer popping and malfunctioning for sure. No surprise that the Wylde chamber would hate this crap too.

I did get a cream puff 62 gr blaster load so I can at least get some usage from the powder from the AAC ammo.
    It seems they use stuff that should be considered waste on a regular basis. Things that fail QC, but make it to the customer.

Do you think the powder is screwy, or is it more along the lines the loads are not consistent?

Molon pointed out a bunch of issues with their ammo line, and they laughed at him. Then they told him to keep spouting whatever he wanted, because he drove up their SEO numbers and made them more money.

Scumbag comment IMHO. I had hoped they would clean up their act and relaunch themselves so to speak, but that is wishful thinking. They keep touting the line that they are the ones pushing freedom for people because of what they make and how their prices are low.

Knowingly selling bad ammo? Someone is going to make an AG complaint at some point, and they are going to suddenly understand a new reality.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Do you think the powder is screwy, or is it more along the lines the loads are not consistent?
    Something seems jookie with the powder. I went back and weighed like 10 powder charges, and they were all within .3 grains. 25.9 to 26.2 grains in the sample. That's a pretty big variance for ball powder, but not enough to yield the horrible velocity spreads and pressure spikes.

The other thing I noticed was that the Rims on the brass are a little thinner than other brass. I have a Sinclair hand priming tool, and it twists the shell holder down to secure the brass when priming. With AAC brass, I can tell it requires more turning on the tool to cinch the case rim. COULD be part of the ejection failure problem... combined with the insane presser spikes of course.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting, I appreciate the update.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Molon pointed out a bunch of issues with their ammo line, and they laughed at him. Then they told him to keep spouting whatever he wanted, because he drove up their SEO numbers and made them more money.

Scumbag comment IMHO. I had hoped they would clean up their act and relaunch themselves so to speak, but that is wishful thinking. They keep touting the line that they are the ones pushing freedom for people because of what they make and how their prices are low.
    This is the part that bothered me the most on the other site. I really wanted to buy the ammo, especially because they're local to me, but the response to a SME was awful. Molon brought up valid concerns and if someone spoke that way to me in person I'd have walked out (at best). It shouldn't be that difficult to offer up the goods on why your ammo is the greatest thing for freedom since George Washington, but they're relying on paid advertisers to do the testing and provide results. Terrible way to do business, but I'm sure they'll do fine for a while because it's jUsT aS gOoD...at least until something really bad happens.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm down to my last 200 rounds to pull down. I think I'll save a few boxes in case we have to provide it to the ways and means committee in Congress. But I'll have to mark it "DO NOT SHOOT".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM516 View Post
    This is the part that bothered me the most on the other site. I really wanted to buy the ammo, especially because they're local to me, but the response to a SME was awful. Molon brought up valid concerns and if someone spoke that way to me in person I'd have walked out (at best). It shouldn't be that difficult to offer up the goods on why your ammo is the greatest thing for freedom since George Washington, but they're relying on paid advertisers to do the testing and provide results. Terrible way to do business, but I'm sure they'll do fine for a while because it's jUsT aS gOoD...at least until something really bad happens.

I'm rather involved in the industry, and I've never had a company refuse to answer questions from the public and have them refer to me instead. That would be such a red flag it would be horrid. I have had companies refer people off forum to talk to me about issues that are related to my specialties, but its never been a matter of refusing to answer questions themselves. An example would be along the lines of, hey, how do I get this authorized for my department? To have a company say they are unable to make a department do anything, but if you talk to Stick he might have ideas... that sort of thing I'm fine with. In fact, I like those "referrals"
    because it lets me freely help people and departments.
    Stick

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm about at the end of this AAC ammo misery. I really have some suspicions about the case rim thickness (or lack thereof). I actually had one reworked rounds fail to eject on the Rem 700 bolt gun.

I don't know this for sure, but I think the thinner rims add to the FTE issues with the over pressured ammo. It's almost like the extractors skip off the rims easier than regular brass.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast