Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change due to equipment or I need to carry a 6" pistol

Feedback Score

Change due to equipment or I need to carry a 6" pistol

I used to carry Hi Powers, and Glock 34/35, at the point of my right hip with a slight muzzle back angle.

But I am finding due to the slightly longer barrel, this no longer is comfortable.

I didn't find appendix comfortable with a Glock 19 or CZ P07, and even find a Glock 26 in that position to not ride that comfortably.

So I have gone to front cross draw, the bottom of the grip is in line with my fly. I am finding this is comfortable and conceals well. I think it offers the same level of security as the appendix .

Can anyone offer different solutions or find a downside to it?

Feedback Score
    That doesn't conceal well for me at all.

I only put DA (not striker fired or SA) guns in the front of my pants.

Those are just my issues. I don't see anything else wrong with it aside from it may be a little easier for an opponent to take and use should they become aware of it.

How low the gun sits will affect comfort when sitting regarding barrel length. My 3.8 inch barrel Cheetahs are fine, but my Colt King Cobra 3 inch couldn't be any longer or it would be a problem.

Longer barreled guns are easily carried ISWB behind the hip.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    https://www.klnullholsters.com/holsters/belt-holsters/
    https://www.klnullholsters.com/holsters/belt-holsters/

May want to check out Ken Null holsters. He's a quiet but very well respected holster maker who has developed some holsters in use by some agencies for some unusual carry positions. One of which (VAM) sounds similar to what you're describing.

He does not advertise/compete for mainstream consumer shooters, though his mainstream holsters are extremely well made. I have one of his owb in horsehide for Walther P99/ppq.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, we know crossdraw isn't very common among supposedly "switched-on" folks, and I'm sure there are reasons for that. However, Yoni I know you ARE switched-on, and wouldn't make the decision lightly.

Me, there's no way that would be concealable enough for me, and there's no way I could be as fast from that position as I'd want to be. I also have concerns about a gun grab in a hands-on fight using crossdraw, for those reasons I'd not use it.

Closest thing to cross-draw I ever use is a shoulder holster (horizontally oriented), for a second gun, and/or when seated for long periods or out of a heavy winter coat, but the situations where I use that are VERY rare.

Me, I am fastest with AIWB, (how I carry most of the time, "out and about") and it and IWB strong side are most concealable. Strong side OWB is also concealable, and fast enough, with the right holster, for me.

This is primarily with G19/G17, with and without optics.

So for me, crossdraw would never be used, but obviously we each make our own decisions for the gear train, based on mission, and personal experience.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 10-20-22 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Well, we know crossdraw isn't very common among supposedly "switched-on" folks, and I'm sure there are reasons for that. However, Yoni I know you ARE switched-on, and wouldn't make the decision lightly.

Me, there's no way that would be concealable enough for me, and there's no way I could be as fast from that position as I'd want to be. I also have concerns about a gun grab in a hands-on fight using crossdraw, for those reasons I'd not use it.
    I have stood in front of the mirror and the crossdraw where it is positioned where the butt of the pistol is at my center line conceals about the same as AIWB when looking at it. I don't think in this position it is open to a gun grab any more than AIWB would be.

Me, I am fastest with AIWB, (how I carry most of the time, "out and about") and it and IWB strong side are most concealable. Strong side OWB is also concealable, and fast enough, with the right holster, for me.
    . .
    I wish I could carry AIWB, but even with a Glock 19 when sitting it is very uncomfortable. Once I am standing up it is comfortable. But I don't want to be playing with my pistol and moving it all the time. I may just put up with the slight comfort issue and go back to wearing it at the point of my right hip but with the muzzle angled back slightly.

Feedback Score
    ..from a dude that doesn't have a gut....I still can't figure out how anyone can comfortably carry appendix, even with micro guns like a 43 or 365. That sh*t hurts when I sit down in the car.

I carry a full size or close enough IWB @ 3o'clock and and a mag on the off-side, owb but under the shirt. I buy 34 waist pants to accommodate the IWB holster.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I used to carry Hi Powers, and Glock 34/35, at the point of my right hip with a slight muzzle back angle.

But I am finding due to the slightly longer barrel, this no longer is comfortable.

I didn't find appendix comfortable with a Glock 19 or CZ P07, and even find a Glock 26 in that position to not ride that comfortably.

So I have gone to front cross draw, the bottom of the grip is in line with my fly. I am finding this is comfortable and conceals well. I think it offers the same level of security as the appendix .

Can anyone offer different solutions or find a downside to it?
    I carry a G-19 AIWB in a Tennicor Velo for hours while driving and never notice it. 5'10" 170# 33" waist.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I wish I could carry AIWB, but even with a Glock 19 when sitting it is very uncomfortable. Once I am standing up it is comfortable. But I don't want to be playing with my pistol and moving it all the time. I may just put up with the slight comfort issue and go back to wearing it at the point of my right hip but with the muzzle angled back slightly.
    Quote Originally Posted by OutofBatt3ry View Post
    ..from a dude that doesn't have a gut....I still can't figure out how anyone can comfortably carry appendix, even with micro guns like a 43 or 365. That sh*t hurts when I sit down in the car.

I carry a full size or close enough IWB @ 3o'clock and and a mag on the off-side, owb but under the shirt. I buy 34 waist pants to accommodate the IWB holster.
    Ever try a leather AIWB? Also, one of the main factors to comfort while seated with AIWB is to keep the holster out of your pelvic crease either by moving the weapon closer to 12 o'clock or with a slight reverse cant or both and a slight looser belt the stong side..
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, finding the "sweet spot" for AIWB can involve some trial and error, and seems to be more body-specific than some.

I use a JMCK standard AIWB (fixed soft loops) w/ extra tuck molded in (hate pads), it is slim, and rounded all over, most comfortable.

Second is a JMCK Wing Claw 2.0 (one strut w/ PDS loop) w/ same extra tuck, for tucking a shirt and more conceal ability, with slightly less comfort.

Once you get used to it it's pretty great.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Ever try a leather AIWB? Also, one of the main factors to comfort while seated with AIWB is to keep the holster out of your pelvic crease either by moving the weapon closer to 12 o'clock or with a slight reverse cant or both and a slight looser belt the stong side..
    I am now trying a cant to the AIWB and it seems it might work out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast