Thread: Oh shit I did it, bought a Tikka T3X Super Varmint 223 Bolt

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    *wrong, not wring

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger86 View Post
    Hello, that is some great shooting. I wish I lived near you guys. I would try to see if I could learn a thing or two from you. Quick question: Was the ballistic calculator wrong due to velocity or BC?
    I can only guess BC. Or something dumb I missed. Our velocity, at 2797 has been stable.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger86 View Post
    Hello, that is some great shooting. I wish I lived near you guys. I would try to see if I could learn a thing or two from you. Quick question: Was the ballistic calculator wring due to velocity or BC?

We thought knew the velocity and BC, but Mark ran the numbers so I’m not sure. My guess is atmospheric conditions but it’s amazing when you shoot week to week and the same load will Shoot diff 7 days later. And that’s at 1,000 yards so at a mile.

Even elevation could have caused some of it. Our other buddy ran it on Hornady’s program and was a half mil off so these programs are pretty damn good of the proper junk is inputted.

And that same load shot a tiny ragged hole group yesterday that was rediculous. It was only 3 rounds but it was a very small hole. I grabbed the gun and put two more holes in another target exact same spot.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-12-23 at 11:14.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thinking about picking up the T3x Tact 20” 308. It would be my “first” bolt gun.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    Thinking about picking up the T3x Tact 20” 308. It would be my “first” bolt gun.
    Go for it, very hard to beat for the money.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    We thought knew the velocity and BC, but Mark ran the numbers so I’m not sure. My guess is atmospheric conditions but it’s amazing when you shoot week to week and the same load will Shoot diff 7 days later. And that’s at 1,000 yards so at a mile.

Even elevation could have caused some of it. Our other buddy ran it on Hornady’s program and was a half mil off so these programs are pretty damn good of the proper junk is inputted.

And that same load shot a tiny ragged hole group yesterday that was rediculous. It was only 3 rounds but it was a very small hole. I grabbed the gun and put two more holes in another target exact same spot.

PB
    That is interesting. I can only get access to a 300yd range currently. My plan this summer is to find some powerlines that I can access with my truck so I can start to learn longer range. I am in NH, so lots of forest and "no trespassing " signs.
    The added difficulty with factors that likely don't matter inside 300yds will be fun to learn.

Last edited by Ranger86; 03-13-23 at 17:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I can only guess BC. Or something dumb I missed. Our velocity, at 2797 has been stable.
    Temp, altitude and barometric pressure can all cause drastic (relative) changes. I thought my velocity was off once and after chasing my tail for 30 minutes, I corrected the above and it all came together. The T from 70 to 35 was the kicker in this case.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-15-23 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Temp, altitude and barometric pressure can all cause drastic (relative) changes. I thought my velocity was off once and after chasing my tail for 30 minutes, I corrected the above and it all came together. The T from 70 to 35 was the kicker in this case.
    Yep. I know our altitude, but I don't remember tweaking temp & pressure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yep. I know our altitude, but I don't remember tweaking temp & pressure.
    Are you using a ballistics app that is reading the local weather station via your smartphone, etc ?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You should make it easier and go by density altitude. If you don't have a meter, the manual charts are pretty accurate provided you know the physical altitude at your location.
    A couple links to go through

http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles.../Downloads/DA/
    https://skillatarms.com/density-alti...ange-shooting/
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast