Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 169

Thread: Oh shit I did it, bought a Tikka T3X Super Varmint 223 Bolt

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    160
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    *wrong, not wring

    Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    31,510
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger86 View Post
    Hello, that is some great shooting. I wish I lived near you guys. I would try to see if I could learn a thing or two from you. Quick question: Was the ballistic calculator wrong due to velocity or BC?
    I can only guess BC. Or something dumb I missed. Our velocity, at 2797 has been stable.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    8,000
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger86 View Post
    Hello, that is some great shooting. I wish I lived near you guys. I would try to see if I could learn a thing or two from you. Quick question: Was the ballistic calculator wring due to velocity or BC?

    Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    We thought knew the velocity and BC, but Mark ran the numbers so Iím not sure. My guess is atmospheric conditions but itís amazing when you shoot week to week and the same load will Shoot diff 7 days later. And thatís at 1,000 yards so at a mile.

    Even elevation could have caused some of it. Our other buddy ran it on Hornadyís program and was a half mil off so these programs are pretty damn good of the proper junk is inputted.

    And that same load shot a tiny ragged hole group yesterday that was rediculous. It was only 3 rounds but it was a very small hole. I grabbed the gun and put two more holes in another target exact same spot.

    PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-12-23 at 11:14.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    1,756
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thinking about picking up the T3x Tact 20” 308. It would be my “first” bolt gun.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    8,000
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    Thinking about picking up the T3x Tact 20” 308. It would be my “first” bolt gun.
    Go for it, very hard to beat for the money.

    PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    160
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    We thought knew the velocity and BC, but Mark ran the numbers so Iím not sure. My guess is atmospheric conditions but itís amazing when you shoot week to week and the same load will Shoot diff 7 days later. And thatís at 1,000 yards so at a mile.

    Even elevation could have caused some of it. Our other buddy ran it on Hornadyís program and was a half mil off so these programs are pretty damn good of the proper junk is inputted.

    And that same load shot a tiny ragged hole group yesterday that was rediculous. It was only 3 rounds but it was a very small hole. I grabbed the gun and put two more holes in another target exact same spot.

    PB
    That is interesting. I can only get access to a 300yd range currently. My plan this summer is to find some powerlines that I can access with my truck so I can start to learn longer range. I am in NH, so lots of forest and "no trespassing " signs.
    The added difficulty with factors that likely don't matter inside 300yds will be fun to learn.

    Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ranger86; 03-13-23 at 17:35.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    N.E. OH
    Posts
    7,383
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I can only guess BC. Or something dumb I missed. Our velocity, at 2797 has been stable.
    Temp, altitude and barometric pressure can all cause drastic (relative) changes. I thought my velocity was off once and after chasing my tail for 30 minutes, I corrected the above and it all came together. The T from 70 to 35 was the kicker in this case.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-15-23 at 18:42.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    31,510
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Temp, altitude and barometric pressure can all cause drastic (relative) changes. I thought my velocity was off once and after chasing my tail for 30 minutes, I corrected the above and it all came together. The T from 70 to 35 was the kicker in this case.
    Yep. I know our altitude, but I don't remember tweaking temp & pressure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,646
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yep. I know our altitude, but I don't remember tweaking temp & pressure.
    Are you using a ballistics app that is reading the local weather station via your smartphone, etc ?

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,560
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You should make it easier and go by density altitude. If you don't have a meter, the manual charts are pretty accurate provided you know the physical altitude at your location.
    A couple links to go through

    http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles.../Downloads/DA/
    https://skillatarms.com/density-alti...ange-shooting/
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •