Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Oh shit I did it, bought a Tikka T3X Super Varmint 223 Bolt

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Are you using a ballistics app that is reading the local weather station via your smartphone, etc ?
    Hell no! I'd rather miss the shot than incorporate my dumb fone in my shooting!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have used apps in the past. Wish I had one that was buttoned up but I’m stuck with pencil and paper for now. Shooter app was my first, feel like it’s old school now.

Maybe one day.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The first time we found our 1 mile shooting spot, we called a buddy to get the come up for 300WM. He got us much closer out of the gate. He's a little nuttier and willing to get dirty in the details on the app.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I was running Strelok for about 10 years but the recent sanctions have me worried that it may eventually be pulled. They all use about the same algorithm underneath the covers, so I am going to give Shooter another try since I tried it about 5 years ago.

This time around it looks like they made some updates to the interface and I am going to start using it on my next outing. It's pretty easy to setup a rifle and load in it, and I'm going to see if I can get it to connect to my old Kestrel with Bluetooth. That will give me density altitude which is really helpful the further out you get.

Feedback Score
    I've been following the Hornady podcast and they had some very in depth discussions about their 4DOF ballistic solver.
    It is set up to change the BC several times during bullet flight. Their doppler radar was showing that the BC changes a lot based on speed, air density and temperature.
    While they have to have modeled the specific bullet to make it work right, (focus is on bullets intended for long range) their library of projectile models is growing and is not limited to Hornady bullets.
    It's a free download and includes a standard BC calculator for bullets not modeled. I haven't used it yet but intend to try it side by side with Strelok Pro.
    I'm new to long range and need all the help I can get!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hi-wayman View Post
    Their doppler radar was showing that the BC changes a lot based on speed, air density and temperature.
    That's pretty interesting. No doubt the 88 gr's speed changes dramatically over the mile flight. I can only guess the BC has dropped a good bit in that last few hundred yards.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My experience with the Hornady app hasn't been that good. It may be accurate but I've had too many issues with bugs and crashes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    My experience with the Hornady app hasn't been that good. It may be accurate but I've had too many issues with bugs and crashes.
    What platform were you using it with? IOS or Android?
    I'm not sold on it yet, but I like the idea of custom drag models and the idea of atmospheric conditions are relied on even on the base line zero. I wonder if this is similar to how Applied Ballistics works with their custom drag models?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hi-wayman View Post
    What platform were you using it with? IOS or Android?
    I'm not sold on it yet, but I like the idea of custom drag models and the idea of atmospheric conditions are relied on even on the base line zero. I wonder if this is similar to how Applied Ballistics works with their custom drag models?
    Android. It has been over two years since I tried it last.

You can set a velocity curve in Shooter and Strelok to compensate for variations in what you see on target.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Well 2nd week of March and it's 70 in Upstate NY so I was off to the range. I love this rifle & while it's changed a ton from when I got it with what I've done to it, the heart of it is still the bbl and action and the Tikka is a badass rifle for sure! Seems like I have settled in on 77s as my go-to bullet, I have the 88s but I haven't had the same success as markm has with them, I haven't given up but will concentrate on the 77s for now. I have some of the Midwest powder from American reloading and while they put it in the Vihtavhouri Powder range they also lump it with 8208. Before I knew any of that I just bought 16lbs of it for blasting powder for my 308 rifles but later found this info about it so maybe I lucked out for once in my life, LOL http://natoreloading.com/MP540/
    I believe it is very close to 8208 cuz I have used it in previous loads and had similar results. Anyway, here are a few groups from today and as luck would have it a buddy showed up and he has the new Garmin Crono, I had brought mine but that dam thing is waaaay too easy so looks like I'm gonna be out $600 bucks very soon, LOL I numbered the groups,1 is the cold bore 1st of the day and each one is numbered after that. I used 77s in all, most are actually with the Creedmoor sports American bullets, I believe there 77 SMKs but what do I know, there is one group with 77 Bergers and they shot well also. I'm a little rusty but hopefully, I'll get better and the season comes along. Crono readings were Avg of 2614, Std Dev of 22 and spread was 70.5. Hope you guys don't mind that I drug up this old thread,LOL

Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 03-13-24 at 22:15.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast