Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh shit I did it, bought a Tikka T3X Super Varmint 223 Bolt

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You ought to buy a couple extra mags. PB has one that we suspect is fussy at feeding, but I orderd the single feed follower for long loads to run in that one yesterday. I don't think there's any alternate mag options.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don’t think there are other options for the mags. You are stuck with Tikka mags which I really wish it was AICS Mags. Like Mark said, one mag didn’t feed for shit and I was freaking out thinking it was the gun. But I had one bad mag.

The US Optics level can be bought on Amazon or Brownells and they come with folder version or not. I like the folder. They fit right in the pic rail. Cost $100 or so. Kinda pricy much cheaper options but I like them.

I bought the rail for bipod from Triad tactical which you need to be a little handy to instal which I’m not. Or you can run a Harris or no bipod at all.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 12-02-22 at 11:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    Thanks, guys I will look into it for sure. Will see what it feels like out of the box & go from there. I don't have a high-end scope but a decent one,( Athlon Midas TAC 5-25x56mm DD CWT SF 34mm APLR4 FFP MOA Riflescope 213080)EuroOptics offers 40% off Vortex Scopes and offers an additional 10% at times for Vets/Military/LEOs but I didn't take advantage a week or so ago when they did offer it, I had just spent $1500.00 on the rifle,LOL I'll wait for the next time I guess. I'll keep ya posted and be working on some loads myself.
    Are you on their Mil/LE program? I have discounts on all the scopes whenever I log into their website. Some are more than others.

The Mk5, NX8, and the 3-18 Razor can all be had for around 1400-1800 bucks.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I don’t think there are other options for the mags. You are stuck with Tikka mags which I really wish it was AICS Mags. Like Mark said, one mag didn’t feed for shit and I was freaking out thinking it was the gun. But I had one bad mag.

The US Optics level can be bought on Amazon or Brownells whether they come with a folder version or not. I like the folder. They fit right in the pic rail. Cost $100 or so. Kinda pricy much cheaper options but I like them.

I bought the rail for the bipod from Triad tactical which you need to be a little handy to install which I’m not. Or you can run a Harris or no bipod at all.

PB
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Are you on their Mil/LE program? I have discounts on all the scopes whenever I log into their website. Some are more than others.

The Mk5, NX8, and the 3-18 Razor can all be had for around 1400-1800 bucks.
    Hey PB, yea I think you are correct, what threw me off is that if you put it in a KRG or MDT Chassie then it will take the AICS mags. I assume it will shoot similarly to yours & the stock really seems pretty decent, will really tell once I get to the range. I have a KRG and really like it I like the looks and feel compared to the factory 5R stock, like I say I will see how the Tikka rolls. Thanks for the info on the Level, didn't get one yet but will look around.

C-grunt thanks for the reminder & yes I am a Mil/Vet discount guy on EuroOptics, those guys are awesome and have some of the best scope prices even without Mil discounts. Thanks guys for all the info.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here's the "bobsled" drop in follower for shooting single feed/long ammo and some 88 gr ammo loaded to 2.50"

The follower works really good. You can toss the rounds into the gun without looking or breaking your cheekweld.

Couple of 3 round POI test groups with Varget:

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Here's the "bobsled" drop in follower for shooting single feed/long ammo and some 88 gr ammo loaded to 2.50"

The follower works really well. You can toss the rounds into the gun without looking or breaking your cheek weld.

Couple of 3-round POI test groups with Varget:

Some good-looking targets their markm! Yea that follower does look good & it sounds like it works fine. Not sure if I'll ever shoot or load 88grn bullets but will work up & try some 77s for sure. So far I've only made it one time to the range and put some 69SMKs loaded up for my ARs, they were using TAC & CFE so nothing special but still shot decent for sighting in my scope. Could be a while now, we received a decent amount of snow, and it's going to be crap for a time (like the next 4 months,LOL) I started out with my el-cheapo Arkin scope and while it's OK it has its shortcomings, I already took it off and planning on something "different" but I don't have the $2K+ for the scope I really want, LOL I have a few things over at the Local shop & if they sell that will put me about halfway to my goal, fingers crossed! I'll get working on some loads so I'll be ready when it gets halfway decent, hell in CNY if it's sunny and above freezing, I'm going for it! Overall, for less than 20 rds through the rifle, I really liked it, very smooth and a joy to shoot, the trigger was Ok, a little over 2 lbs the way it came, looking at Timneys but probably after the Holidays. I'll keep ya posted when I can, enjoy the AZ sun! Quick pic of my rig. I have 3 more mags coming so I'll have 4 total, that should hold me for awhile.
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 12-11-22 at 18:29.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Some good-looking targets their markm! Yea that follower does look good & it sounds like it works fine. Not sure if I'll ever shoot or load 88grn bullets but will work up & try some 77s for sure.
    The 88 blems are still available at Midway for about $0.22 each. It's worth the time if you have some slow powder like Varget or TAC. You're really playing with a totally different cartridge due to the long load/increased case capacity.

The come up for 1000 yards closely matches most of our 6.5cm come ups. About 8.5 mils.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    The 88 blems are still available at Midway for about $0.22 each. It's worth the time if you have some slow powder like Varget or TAC. You're really playing with a totally different cartridge due to the long load/increased case capacity.

The come-up for 1000 yards closely matches most of our 6.5cm come-ups. About 8.5 mils.
    I just might go take a look over @ Midway USA. Thanks, and where do you get the single follower?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I just might go take a look over @ Midway USA. Thanks, and where do you get the single follower?
    Also at midway, but I got the last available one. Not sure how long the back order is. Perhaps you can get it direct from the manufacturer. It was only $17 by the way.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Couple of 3 round POI test groups with Varget:

Those groups look good. I see that you are getting some vertical with the 88s, and had the same issue when I tried them years ago. The powder was 8208 and I thought maybe that was the issue but never got around to doing more testing. At the time, the rifle had a Magpul Hunter stock on it and later changed it out. Accuracy improved after that.

Screenshot_20180901-210810_Range Buddy_resize_78.jpgScreenshot_20180901-205823_Range Buddy_resize_43.jpg
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast