Thread: Looking to build a good doomsday Solar setup

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Looking to build a good doomsday Solar setup

Hey guys,

It appears that solar is finally getting to the point where it might actually be useful for the cost. I was looking to replicate this setup....

https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/th...-anything.html

I know it is for large RVs, but I am thinking of a long lived, durable setup that could run a fridge, lights, recharge batteries, fans, etc. Some of these batteries seem to have 4000 charge life cycles which means you might be able to actually use this thing for a serious amount of time. It appears that setup will run around 4.5 k and last for a long time. Of course, I will need to buy an efficient fridge, etc.

What do you guys think? Recommend something else? I would think when we are all liking in the zombie nuke scape it will be a real treat to cool water, food, and run fans and stuff.

Any other ideas?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Are you thinking for a vehicle or a home?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I am thinking home, but a small system. Not trying to replicate the power company, just enough to keep a small freezer/fridge, charge headlamps, fans, etc
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I have no suggestions but you have certainly planted an idea/project for me to explore .... thank you!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There are a handful of companies that let you spec a system online in most of the US, including Solar City (Tesla). Take the specs based on system size and convert into the DIY equipment you can purchase online for you or friends to install. As homes don't care about weight, lead acid batteries seem ideal, but the gas coming off them concentrated in a small area is caustic and will cause harm. A well designed energy storage system from a reputable company is a must. There is an episode of Homestead Helpers/Rescue/Something where that was one of the issues, the battery storage system (lead acid) was making the home unlivable.

On the flip side with the rebates from the government on solar you could probably skip the DIY and have a reputable company secure and install what you want.

Another warning, while Tesla Powerwalls are the gold standard of energy storage and their website is pretty good, securing a system and getting installed may require a VERY long wait. My buddy in FL specced a system and had to bail on it as they couldn't provide an install date after many months. Went with another provider and was relatively straightforward.