I never thought of this as a problem prior to actually getting the setup and trying it out.

Background: Last month at a Costa night class the Streamlight tape switch that came with my ProTac sh*t the bed. It basically joined the local Teamsters Union and started deciding at random when it would and would not work. At the end of the day, this was no big deal since it made it past the white light stage of the class and after that I was running under NODs the rest of the time.

I decided I did not want that BS on my primary SHTF gun and ordered a SureFire M640V thanks to LA Police Gear's generous 30% off coupon and a Unity TAPS DBAL. So now the set up is a DBAL A3, with an M640V and the TAPS controlling both

At first I thought it would be nice to have the ability to run a while light, and have the visible green laser come on as the TAPS will override the A3 if it's set in any of the IR modes to fire the visible laser.

So I got it all set up and was all happy, grab my NODs and head to my little back yard range to try it out. Then comes the problem: what if I want to use the IR on the M640 and the IR laser at the same time? If I hit button 1 on the TAPS, the IR M640 comes on, cool, but so does the visible green laser. WTF? I never thought about that and now I feel like I got the wrong switch. Makes the whole override function seem... well... dumb.

Am I missing something? What's the point of having a more powerful IR flood in the M640 if I can't use it with the IR laser at the same time? I either have an aiming device, or the better illumination device but not both at the same time. Using the M640 IR flood while aiming through the optic defeats the whole point of running passive. I feel like I screwed up a bit here...