Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unity TAPS-DBAL - Something I Didn't Consider

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Unity TAPS-DBAL - Something I Didn't Consider

I never thought of this as a problem prior to actually getting the setup and trying it out.

Background: Last month at a Costa night class the Streamlight tape switch that came with my ProTac sh*t the bed. It basically joined the local Teamsters Union and started deciding at random when it would and would not work. At the end of the day, this was no big deal since it made it past the white light stage of the class and after that I was running under NODs the rest of the time.

I decided I did not want that BS on my primary SHTF gun and ordered a SureFire M640V thanks to LA Police Gear's generous 30% off coupon and a Unity TAPS DBAL. So now the set up is a DBAL A3, with an M640V and the TAPS controlling both

At first I thought it would be nice to have the ability to run a while light, and have the visible green laser come on as the TAPS will override the A3 if it's set in any of the IR modes to fire the visible laser.

So I got it all set up and was all happy, grab my NODs and head to my little back yard range to try it out. Then comes the problem: what if I want to use the IR on the M640 and the IR laser at the same time? If I hit button 1 on the TAPS, the IR M640 comes on, cool, but so does the visible green laser. WTF? I never thought about that and now I feel like I got the wrong switch. Makes the whole override function seem... well... dumb.

Am I missing something? What's the point of having a more powerful IR flood in the M640 if I can't use it with the IR laser at the same time? I either have an aiming device, or the better illumination device but not both at the same time. Using the M640 IR flood while aiming through the optic defeats the whole point of running passive. I feel like I screwed up a bit here...
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Not sure how well the regular TAPS Sync will play with the DBAL (ie: plug fitment), but I run a TAPS Sync V4 with a PEQ/M620V and it can do what you seek.

I prefer that setup as I can still run white light and dedicated IR laser if needed, but I have the combination of white+vis or IR+IR if needed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Not sure how well the regular TAPS Sync will play with the DBAL (ie: plug fitment), but I run a TAPS Sync V4 with a PEQ/M620V and it can do what you seek.

I prefer that setup as I can still run white light and dedicated IR laser if needed, but I have the combination of white+vis or IR+IR if needed.
    The plugs on the one I have now fit well with the DBAL A3, so I would assume the other variants will as well.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    The plugs on the one I have now fit well with the DBAL A3, so I would assume the other variants will as well.
    I've heard more than a few horror stories of the TAPS breaking in DBALs.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-broke-my-DBAL!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    I've heard more than a few horror stories of the TAPS breaking in DBALs.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-broke-my-DBAL!
    Yes... the old prolapsed anus... I mean port syndrome...

Well, I have not tried to unplug it yet so I don't know how that will pan out.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Are you saying that you have a dual lead switch with one port in the vis override and the other in the surefire?

I'm not sure I'm tracking properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Are you saying that you have a dual lead switch with one port in the vis override and the other in the surefire?

I'm not sure I'm tracking properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The switch has three leads. Technically. One to the Surefire and two to the DBAL. Button 1 fires the the Surefire, and overrides the selector on the DBAL to fire the visible laser (unless it’s in the off position). Button 2 fires only the DBAL in whichever selector position it is.

I thought the override position would be advantageous because I can run white light and green visible laser at the same time. But that sucks when you want to use the Surefire in IR mode.

Edit to correct “odd” to “off”
    Last edited by Alex V; 10-18-22 at 06:09.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    The switch has three leads. Technically. One to the Surefire and two to the DBAL. Button 1 fires the the Surefire, and overrides the selector on the DBAL to fire the visible laser (unless it’s in the odd position). Button 2 fires only the DBAL in whichever selector position it is.

I thought the override position would be advantageous because I can run white light and green visible laser at the same time. But that sucks when you want to use the Surefire in IR mode.
    What is the point of having two IR illuminators?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocaster View Post
    What is the point of having two IR illuminators?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    The one on the DBAL is pretty weak sauce.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Yeah that seems rather silly. I can’t think of a tactical situation where you’d want to fire your vis laser. Looks like you might be better served with this: https://www.unitytactical.com/produc...efire-laser-9/
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 10-19-22 at 11:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast