Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bull pup SBR project

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    At the risk of setting off a 556 vs 300 debate, I would ask you what advantage you see to 300 supers over 556? Energy wise, in a 10" barrel, they will be very similar with the edge going to 556, and 556 will shoot flatter due to higher velocity. And then there's availability.
    I wanted something that was as short as possible, but you make a good case for adding 1 inch in barrel length and staying with the 5.56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I wanted something that was as short as possible, but you make a good case for adding 1 inch in barrel length and staying with the 5.56.
    Hypothetically, if I were trying to build something as short as possible, but still maintain maximum lethality to... say 150 meters, I would look strongly at some sort of custom x95 with maybe a 7" 300 blk barrel with a short suppressor. I would shoot supersonics from it for sure. I imagine velocity would be in the 1400 fps range with 110-125 grain bullets, with probably 5-600 ft lbs of energy...

Now that I wrote that, I'm really not seeing a big enough advantage over a 357 Sig 60 grain, or 556 60 grain at 2000 fps...
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Hypothetically, if I were trying to build something as short as possible, but still maintain maximum lethality to... say 150 meters, I would look strongly at some sort of custom x95 with maybe a 7" 300 blk barrel with a short suppressor. I would shoot supersonics from it for sure. I imagine velocity would be in the 1400 fps range with 110-125 grain bullets, with probably 5-600 ft lbs of energy...

Now that I wrote that, I'm really not seeing a big enough advantage over a 357 Sig 60 grain, or 556 60 grain at 2000 fps...
    Well you won me over I just bought a new X95 in 5.56 for $1300.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So I was not thinking of subsonics in the gun.

So the question is will regular 300 blk work in the gun?
    It’s not just subs. Because of the powder to bore size 300 supers use a much faster powder. This explains why it’s more efficient in shorter barrels, more like a pistol cartridge. The larger barrel diameter means more area for gas to expand into than 5.56. Faster powder expanding into a larger bore means less pressure at an equal distance down the barrel.

The short answer, with the same gas system length you can have a shorter barrel in 5.56 function than 300.

But I don’t know if the 300 starts off with the same gas system on the X95.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well you won me over I just bought a new X95 in 5.56 for $1300.
    That's a great price. Interested to hear your impressions of it.

I really like short barreled 5.56, but can no longer imagine using one without, at least, a short suppressor on it. If you're going to go suppressed, at today's stage of suppressor technology, I don't think you can do better than the new Huxwrx/OSS Flow 556k. Its flow through tech is ideal for a Tavor as it doesn't increase back pressure appreciably, and is the quietest 5.56 suppressor ever tested by Pew Science at the shooter's ear. Only adds 5" to the overall length of the weapon.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    I was on the board that evaluated the original Tavor and really didn't care for it. My old unit which can get any rifle they want rejected the Tavor and stated with 11.5" M16.

But I want a sub 19inch gun that can be deployed from backpack with out having to unfold the stock.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    One of my best friends has the 13" barrel X95 SBR.

That thing is freaking tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    X95 has enough improvements I would call it a "2nd Generation Tavor" and the Tavor 7 a "3rd Gen".

I don't have the "Fighting from & around vehicles" training I wish I had but it seems to me bullpup rifles excell at that. Also would be perfect for checkpoints and as a common Police duty rifle. Easy to store & deploy from a vehicle without the SBR downsides.

Feedback Score
    I was on the board that evaluated the original Tavor and really didn't care for it. My old unit which can get any rifle they want rejected the Tavor and stated with 11.5" M16.

But I want a sub 19inch gun that can be deployed from backpack with out having to unfold the stock.
    Sounds like the bullpup you chose or an MP5K design to me.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yoni,

Here is a good visual to support Todd's points.

These are our new 8" PDW barrels.

The total gas drive (pressure x duration x gas port) is roughly equal between these two, but in order to achieve that, the gas port location and sizes are quite different because the cartridge pressure curves are different.

Gas port locations can sometimes be moved further out, but at a certain point, you start to run out of available gas to drive the action and reliability suffers.

Piston systems generally have some minimum dimension for the gas block location to accommodate the push rod, return spring, bushing, etc.

Much like the standard laser marking wouldn't fit on the 300 BLK barrel, a normal piston system may not fit either, unless it can be re-designed to micro size.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    It’s not just subs. Because of the powder to bore size 300 supers use a much faster powder. This explains why it’s more efficient in shorter barrels, more like a pistol cartridge. The larger barrel diameter means more area for gas to expand into than 5.56. Faster powder expanding into a larger bore means less pressure at an equal distance down the barrel.

The short answer, with the same gas system length you can have a shorter barrel in 5.56 function than 300.

But I don’t know if the 300 starts off with the same gas system on the X95.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast