Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larue 7.62 Christmas for me...now what?

Feedback Score

Larue 7.62 Christmas for me...now what?

I ordered the Larue Stealth Complete system for my self because my wife got tired of me bugging her about it. So now heres some options he offers on it and Id like some opinions. I will be using it mainly as a Urban/Patrol type so 1000 yard groups arent needed, hopefully.
    Im thinking 16" or 18" barrel with the Magpul CQB or their Sniper type stock......does anyone have any lean toward either of the barrles or stocks? Any input is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    I have a Magpul PRS on my JP CTR-02. It's heavy, but I really like it. When I get a 308, it will have a Magpul PRS as well.

I really can't comment with any experience on the barrel. If you're not looking at long range shooting, you probably wont' be giving up much by going to a 16" barrel.

Congratulations on your X-Mas present!

Feedback Score
    I agree that the Magpul PRS is heavy but that is what I went with on my armalite ar 10 (T). But I have a mark 4 leupold and I use it for hunting. So if your looking for a "urban patrol rifle" what kind of scope are you going to use? If you don't need the height of a adjustable cheek peice (ex. EoTech) I would go with something lighter, like the Magpul CTR. I also like the 16" barrel. You really don't get much better results with a longer barrel until you start reaching past 200-300 yards. So if your looking for a "urban patrol rifle" I think the 16" is your best bet for what your wanting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I like the Vltor EMod stock. It has great ergo's (cheekweld) and also offers storage if you need it. If this is going to be a patrol rifle, adding a UBR or PRS will just add more weight to an already heavy carbine.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbriehn View Post
    Im thinking 16" or 18" barrel
    I ordered mine the day after they were announced for sale and at that time they were skeptical that options such as barrel length changes would be readily available. Sounded like they were going to try and just get the basic, complete rifles out the door. FWIW I ordered 18", but would not be surprised if I can only get 16".
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Distinguished Rifleman #1558
    President's Hundred

Feedback Score

ar stock

I put lmt sopmods on all my ar's and never look back. Best stock , best cheekweld for me, period. As far as balance, one could easily add weight to the sopmod in the battery storage compartments if needed. I have a ar10(20") and ar10t (24" cut to 18") and they balance fine without.

Feedback Score
    I saw these on their site. With 7.62 ARs being so finiky, I'd want to see what happens to the first batch. That said, I gotta think that Larue will come out with a great rifle, especially if it for MIL service.

Did they give you an ETA?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Last edited by RedMan*; 12-15-09 at 10:52.

Feedback Score

Rifle choice

If you are using the rifle for patrol, light is right. I would go with the 16" barrel and the CTR stock. You are going to be moving and shooting. Your distances will nto be that great, from CQB to maybe 25 yards. Now if I was going to be a sniper or support I would op for the 18 with the magpul PRS stock.

If you can get away with a shorter barrel I would use it. Depending on the round you can get some good work done with shorter barrels. That old saying if one doesn't stop, you got 29 more rounds to try. If that doesn't work you should have 3 more mags. LOL

Feedback Score
    Just some other thoughts - I have read in a few places that going with at least 18" will get rid of most of the flash from shooting 7.62 ammo, which might be an issue if you are using night vision. Also, consider a MagPul UBR stock, as it balances heavier barrels better than the CTR, but also is designed for moving and shooting (better than the PRS in my opinion) given its dual quick-detach mounts.
    Last edited by Solomon; 01-22-09 at 16:18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast