Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Hackathorn on Red Dot's and Handguns

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm lucky enough to be using G19s, and enjoying the plethora of cheap but good quality aftermarket slides available.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Hackathorn on Red Dot's and Handguns

Aaron Cowan’s instagram posts in response to the video and other’s comments are pretty good. This one statement from Aaron, a guy who I’d say is the pistol RDS SME says a lot:

“Sorry, it's time to try and be better, not celibate the mediocrity of 600 year old technology.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The EPS is what got me around to trying a pistol dot. Enclosed without being giant, side loading battery. An enclosed option that I could fit on a carry gun was important for me.

The SCS looks good, but I don’t think they can make an enclosed version because of where the mounting screws are at. Same with the RMR footprint.

I was leaning pretty hard towards direct milling a Glock for the EPS, then I bought a Sig that is factory cut for the EPS carry.
    I can see how an enclosed optic would be preferable if not essential on a carry gun. The SCS on a MOS slide seems like it could be the easy button to get into pistol red dots though. Did you go for the normal width EPS or the slimmer "carry" version?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I'm lucky enough to be using G19s, and enjoying the plethora of cheap but good quality aftermarket slides available.
    What's a good brand you've used? I've got a 17. Maybe just buying a slide and a dot would be a better way to go than setting up a whole new gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It'd certainly be cheaper.

Aim Surplus, PSA Dagger (not sure if they're doing a 17 length one though), and Brownells.

Brownells is absolutely the best bang for the buck, but the other two are cheaper.

Feedback Score
    I took one of our new recruits out today because to his own admission he barely made it through the police academy quals. I made him shoot my ACRO'd G19 and there was a. No learning curve, he picked it up instantly, and b. Went from minute of man at 15 yards to 25 yard headshots. He is now wondering why everyone doesn't have them. Going back to irons only and he was shooting much better.

I did a little myth busting. Much respect for Mr Hackathorn but red dots are the now and here to stay. If you don't have one, you're behind the times.

I am seeing lots of agencies in Michigan switching to them. Hell, even the FBI has them for SWAT and HRT and they take forever to adopt stuff. I imagine they'll trickle down to the line workers eventually.

Slightly OT but man that ACRO has made a lot of believers out of people saying they would never have an RDS equipped handgun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    I can see how an enclosed optic would be preferable if not essential on a carry gun. The SCS on a MOS slide seems like it could be the easy button to get into pistol red dots though. Did you go for the normal width EPS or the slimmer "carry" version?
    I’m waiting on them to re-stock, so I might end up starting with the open equivalent (407k or 507k) for now. My new Sig is a P365 Macro so it fits the carry sized EPS.

I’m not too worried about the first one being enclosed, it can end up going on a training gun or .22 if the dot works out.

Feedback Score
    They look to be 4 to 6 weeks out, but this seems a decent price. I ordered one so the wait begins. https://www.opticsplanet.com/holosun...ing-sight.html

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789