Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hodge Defense 14.5” Barrel Accuracy: A Quick Look

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I think now there is far more competition in this space than there was in 2018 but if you need a seriously durable, accurate, and lightweight barrel for a fighting gun it's hard to do better.
    Yeah. But the accuracy is hit and miss, so to speak, according to the replies. And I've never had a durability issue with any barrel... even my old mediocre Bushmaster went well past 25k rounds.

Even as Lysander posted about other FN "double chrome lined" barrels.... there's really not much difference due to the min/max thickness in chrome. I've never tried a HD barrel, but I'd have a hard time believing it would be any better than my Sionics RGP.

Honestly I'd probably be perfectly happy with a 2 MOA Hodge barrel, but not at over $400. It strikes me that there's at least $150 in marketing BS built into the price.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I had to do a quick search to confirm and yes they still demand a very steep price for their barrels. They must be getting it or you wouldn’t see $400 price tags. I find that surprising but good for them if they can get it. Not getting into my corn pile though.

I find it a little surprising that people are still building AR’s after our 14 hundredth panic buying spree. It’s just proof positive that I still have much to learn about this insatiable market.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I think you are paying for a couple things that were not really available when these barrels came out.

Your paying for:
    Durability - Hodge mystery steel has been shown in testing be extremely durable in high round count guns including the use of M855A1
    Weight and contour
    Smaller gas port for shooting suppressed
    Accuracy - it's a fairly accurate barrel for chrome lined. My 12.5 is sub moa with black hills, pmc 855, pmc match 77, and gmm.

I think now there is far more competition in this space than there was in 2018 but if you need a seriously durable, accurate, and lightweight barrel for a fighting gun it's hard to do better.
    Has anybody ever figured out what the exact steel is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Has anybody ever figured out what the exact steel is?
    Some variant of 9310H, as stated by Hodge himself.
    Plus ηa change, plus c'est la mκme chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Some variant of 9310H, as stated by Hodge himself.
    Thanks.

If so, it makes sense why they are all hammer forged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Here's a quote from Roy at Weapon Outfitters about the Hodge barrel steel:

Anyway, the steel used in Hodge Defense barrels is high grade stuff that’s basically trying to mimic or exceed the HK416 barrel in all aspects of performance. I have a 7 page NDA from FN so I can’t spill the beans on the Hodge Defense barrels specifically, but if you dive deep into the HK416 barrel (20 year old technology about 1 generation behind) you will see why it can still extract amazing performance despite having the piston in the wrong spot lol
    Also, the price on Hodge barrels recently dropped to $390. Still pricey, but at least they aren't over 4 bills any more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123