Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Annoying words or phrases

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    build

this build

meh
    I am also not a fan of "build" even when it's a 1911 that someone has put >100 hours into. But it has become the word. English marches on.

SBRSarge, you are so right, our version of English is the world standard.... well, to us at least. As a fellow Michigander, would you agree there can be a little bit of a Detroit accent? I guess anywhere you go, any country, the people in the cities speak a little more frankly and efficiently. I see the Detroit Metro accent and the Chicago accent as different and yet similar in some ways.

Advertising plays a significant part in changing the language whether you call it corrupting it or advancing it (for my part, corrupting it, usually). Advertising gurus are quick to pick up on and proliferate what many of us would consider outlandish slang.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I am also not a fan of "build" even when it's a 1911 that someone has put >100 hours into. But it has become the word. English marches on.

SBRSarge, you are so right, our version of English is the world standard.... well, to us at least. As a fellow Michigander, would you agree there can be a little bit of a Detroit accent? I guess anywhere you go, any country, the people in the cities speak a little more frankly and efficiently. I see the Detroit Metro accent and the Chicago accent as different and yet similar in some ways.

Advertising plays a significant part in changing the language whether you call it corrupting it or advancing it (for my part, corrupting it, usually). Advertising gurus are quick to pick up on and proliferate what many of us would consider outlandish slang.

Detroit accent to me is kind of a mix of inner-city meets midwest, with a twist of chip on the shoulder attitude! I’ve never given it much thought before but see it now.

As a yooper, do you remember the Unicorn Hunters from Lake Superior State College and their yearly list of words that should be banned? (I’m dating myself here, it changed to a University well after I was there.). https://www.lssu.edu/traditions/unicornhunters/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    PLATFORM..in regards to weapons. Utterly ridiculous.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    "I seen that"

No, no you didn't. You may have seen that, or you saw that.

"Pacifically".... No. Specifically.

Feedback Score
    Not knowing the difference between ‘affect’ and ‘effect.’

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/affect-vs-effect/
    Last edited by WillieThom; 12-01-22 at 20:42.
    Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Feedback Score
    That is so meta....
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    “Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.” It’s one of those lame throwaway phrases like “Darwin Award winner!” that immediately makes me think the speaker is mean-spirited and possibly a little dumb.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    When the white news cast says "drop" for the release of any info/product. STFU, Shelly! You're white!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516