Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone using any of the new BCM.....?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    When rings expand with heat, the inside diameter increases.
    I think Mark is talking about the extension, as in the barrel extension. When we are talking about a desired tight fit (which I think we all want), heating the barrel extension would be pointless. If we are calling the upper receiver threads an "extension", it would make sense. However, I'm not versed in the threaded section ever being referred to as "the extension".

I think we are all on the same sheet of music with this, just using varying terminology. If someone is heating the barrel extension, to aid in the barrel to receiver fit, I would caution them to slow down and rethink their concepts.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You’re right…I misunderstood the question. I mean heating the threads on the upper receiver, not the barrel extension.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    You’re right…I misunderstood the question. I mean heating the threads on the upper receiver, not the barrel extension.
    I think it’s called the receiver extension but yeah the threaded part on the receiver it has heat that little section up with a micro torch or a heat gun it doesn’t take much heat to loosen it up since it’s aluminum then seat that barrel because the cold barrel will cause it to contract almost immediately upon contact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, I've installed a few interference fit barrels to uppers. I've always put the barrel in the freezer for a couple of hours, and put the receiver in the oven. In the hopes that the entire thing would expand evenly and give me a few extra seconds of working time.

It has always worked like a charm. And the times I've needed to subsequently separate the barrel from the upper, it has required pounding it out using a wooden dowel and mallet.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsy714 View Post
    I think it’s called the receiver extension but yeah the threaded part on the receiver it has heat that little section up with a micro torch or a heat gun it doesn’t take much heat to loosen it up since it’s aluminum then seat that barrel because the cold barrel will cause it to contract almost immediately upon contact
    Do you not risk heat degrading the aluminum alloy when using a torch rather than boiling water? I am looking for information on 7075 but for 6061-T6:

An example for the wrought AA6061 alloy in T6/T651 condition is shown in Figure 2a,b. At temperatures above 150 °C, the alloy suffers a loss in strength with deterioration increasing over time. Above 200 °C, the weakening is substantial, and is accompanied by some gain in ductility. Most of the strength reduction induced by exposure to elevated temperatures is permanent, so the loss in strength is not recovered when the material is returned to a lower temperature.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7435424/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Do you not risk heat degrading the aluminum alloy when using a torch rather than boiling water? I am looking for information on 7075 but for 6061-T6:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7435424/
    Yeah you don’t really want to overdo it this isn’t a muscle job but more of a finesse job

The professional builders in my area is use a heat gun

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    FWIW, I've installed a few interference fit barrels to uppers. I've always put the barrel in the freezer for a couple of hours, and put the receiver in the oven. In the hopes that the entire thing would expand evenly and give me a few extra seconds of working time.

It has always worked like a charm. And the times I've needed to subsequently separate the barrel from the upper, it has required pounding it out using a wooden dowel and mallet.
    This is what I do.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    https://youtu.be/-cOlNGxUhsk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I think we are all on the same sheet of music with this, just using varying terminology. If someone is heating the barrel extension, to aid in the barrel to receiver fit, I would caution them to slow down and rethink their concepts.
    This... yeah. I see extension and assume barrel. Yes. Heating the upper would logically help.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Sounds like a fun time at Bubba’s basement to me

I used a micro torch to heat the extension and then while it was still hot give it a few good wax with a rubber mallet on the end of the receiver to seed it
    FYI "Receiver Extension" is the proper term for "buffer tube".
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast