Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone using any of the new BCM.....?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    FYI "Receiver Extension" is the proper term for "buffer tube".
    I knew that was something lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Would you mind disassembling your buffer and taking pictures? There are several different spring configurations in the patent and I wonder which they are using presently.
    884ED8D0-E464-4E09-A41F-48C09D1AE3F6.jpeg
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thank you!

Feedback Score
    This shows the modified bumper with an over travel stop to prevent the biasing spring from fully/over compressing.

BCM M2 Buffer Diagram 2.jpg
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    That is weird.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That is weird.
    What's weird? Same principle as the VLTOR A5 but with a larger diameter biasing spring.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That is weird.

That is the result of having to change enough pieces significantly enough to get a separate patent from the A5.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    What's weird? Same principle as the VLTOR A5 but with a larger diameter biasing spring.
    Dramatically different. I'm not big on the bias spring after weighing all the opinions here. (I'm not pulling any more out, just not convinced of its value)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Anyone using any of the new BCM.....?

Dramatically different. I'm not big on the bias spring after weighing all the opinions here. (I'm not pulling any more out, just not convinced of its value)
    The biasing spring is what linearizes (and stabilizes) carrier velocity during the bolt-unlocking portion of rearward carrier travel. Which is the first 1/2" of carrier travel if memory serves. I'm sure Clint or Constructor or Lysander (or others) have the exact figure.

By forcing all the weights to the front of the buffer body when at-rest, this functionally increases carrier mass for every shot as opposed to a normal buffer where the weights could be in any number of arrangements of positions within the buffer body from shot to shot.

So, without the biasing spring, aggregate carrier mass during the unlocking phase (nominally 9.4oz IIRC, the mass of the bolt and cam pin are subtracted because they are longitudinally stationary until the cam pin reaches the front terminus of the cam pin track in the carrier; the bolt and cam pin are only rotating axially during this phase) can vary by the entire mass of the weight stack inside the buffer from shot-to-shot. I.e. a 4.6oz H2 carbine buffer can contribute a max of that mass to the overall mass of the carrier (during unlocking), and as little as .7oz (buffer body, roll pin, & delrin bumper), from shot to shot. So, shot #1 could see an aggregate mass of ~14oz and shot #2 could see 10.1oz total mass during unlocking, and so on. This becomes even more critical when shooting suppressed.

With the biasing spring, your carrier mass at-unlock sees very little variability, if any. I imagine Eric has done the math on what force it would take to displace the weight stack against that biasing spring.... and that not much else aside from a weapon-drop on the buttstock would cause the full weight stack to remain fully reward for any length of time. I.e., under most nominal conditions, there isn't any mass variability during unlocking.

Mass variability makes it more difficult to tune mass /or/ gas for any given gun as you've got these large variability bars at each end of your graph-of-function. As I stated above, things get even crazier with a can.

A biasing spring is certainly not mandatory for function (obviously) and speaks well of the overall design of the AR platform that it can accommodate this level of uncertainty and still function as well as it does. But it's an improvement. And the new BCM biasing spring further improves that concept with a lower K value for the biasing spring itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 12-11-22 at 12:22.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    The biasing spring is what linearizes (and stabilizes) carrier velocity during the bolt-unlocking portion of rearward carrier travel. Which is the first 1/2" of carrier travel if memory serves. I'm sure Clint or Constructor or Lysander (or others) have the exact figure.

By forcing all the weights to the front of the buffer body when at-rest, this functionally increases carrier mass for every shot as opposed to a normal buffer where the weights could be in any number of arrangements of positions within the buffer body from shot to shot.

So, without the biasing spring, aggregate carrier mass during the unlocking phase (nominally 9.4oz IIRC, the mass of the bolt and cam pin are subtracted because they are longitudinally stationary until the cam pin reaches the front terminus of the cam pin track in the carrier; the bolt and cam pin are only rotating axially during this phase) can vary by the entire mass of the weight stack inside the buffer from shot-to-shot. I.e. a 4.6oz H2 carbine buffer can contribute a max of that mass to the overall mass of the carrier (during unlocking), and as little as .7oz (buffer body, roll pin, & delrin bumper), from shot to shot. So, shot #1 could see an aggregate mass of ~14oz and shot #2 could see 10.1oz total mass during unlocking, and so on. This becomes even more critical when shooting suppressed.

With the biasing spring, your carrier mass at-unlock sees very little variability, if any. I imagine Eric has done the math on what force it would take to displace the weight stack against that biasing spring.... and that not much else aside from a weapon-drop on the buttstock would cause the full weight stack to remain fully reward for any length of time. I.e., under most nominal conditions, there isn't any mass variability during unlocking.

Mass variability makes it more difficult to tune mass /or/ gas for any given gun as you've got these large variability bars at each end of your graph-of-function. As I stated above, things get even crazier with a can.

A biasing spring is certainly not mandatory for function (obviously) and speaks well of the overall design of the AR platform that it can accommodate this level of uncertainty and still function as well as it does. But it's an improvement. And the new BCM biasing spring further improves that concept with a lower K value for the biasing spring itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What prevents recoil from placing the weights at the front of the buffer?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast