Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Critical Duty 9mm 135 gr SLOW

Feedback Score

Hornady Critical Duty 9mm 135 gr SLOW

Chronographed 10 rds from my Beretta 92X Centurion in about 80 degree weather.

Averaged 924 fps.

Other ammo tested like it normally does from this gun. This barrel does tend to read slower than other guns. Is that a Beretta 92 thing?

I really got this ammo to try in an AP-5P and AP-5. I hope it runs a little faster from them.

The same day I had 160 gr .38 special coming out of a 3 inch barrel at about the same speed.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Odd. I'm just a Gold Dot across the board. I don't put too much thought into Pistol ammo other than bullet weight for the caliber. And even then, I don't dig too deep like the ballistic forum nut bags.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's a little slow but not far off. Maybe a combo of production variation and your slow barrel. Or your chrono.

Call Hornady with your lot# and ask what they think.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are two Hornady 135 grain Critical Duty Rounds:

Item #90236 Standard velocity Listed @ 1010 FPS from a 4" barrel.

Item #90226 +P Velocity @ 1110 FPS from a 4" barrel

I use Hornady Critical Duty myself, but the 124Gr. +P version Item #90216. I've chrono'ed it 1172 FPS from my G19 and 1136 FPS from my G43X

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Odd. I'm just a Gold Dot across the board. I don't put too much thought into Pistol ammo other than bullet weight for the caliber. And even then, I don't dig too deep like the ballistic forum nut bags.
    Same. The GDs have always been accurate and a “Bonded Bullet” just makes sense for a SD round.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is there some velocity / expansion minimum for that bullet you are concerned about, or just generally want more?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Is there some velocity / expansion minimum for that bullet you are concerned about, or just generally want more?
    Seems like its 100 fps short. Even at advertised velocity I've seen a couple reports of it not expanding. (In clear gel)

I'm concerned it won't expand at this velocity.

Hopefully it leaves the Mp5 patter guns with a little more gusto. I spared them the +p version to avoid extra wear.

I'll keep carrying the Underwood 68 gr +P LeHigh in the M92X with a backup mag of 124 gr Gold Dot +P.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Does seem a little slow to me as well. I have a variety of Gold dots and Critical D ammo. Since Mark obsesses over handgun ballistics, I guess we should chrono several loads and just skip shooting the new Tikka Tx3 this Saturday.

In all seriousness, I am curious how Horndog HD ammo is running the same as my 147gr range ammo. Ok, we will shoot out of the Stacatto 4.4 inch barrel. Ron, was yours plus P+ variety?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Seems a little slow. I never chrono’d it, but I got a bunch of this like a year ago. Seemed slightly light, like much of Hornady’s not+P duty-oriented ammo. An assumption about its velocity was made, and some friends and I started shooting it suppressed with G19s. We quickly realized that much of it was supersonic and loud as hell.

Correction: the stuff we were shooting was a training round, and is thus irrelevant to this convo.
    Last edited by 1168; 11-07-22 at 20:30.

Feedback Score
    Mine is the standard pressure stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast