Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I’m sure it’s been done, but cannot find any relevant thread. DI RMR improvements?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I’m sure it’s been done, but cannot find any relevant thread. DI RMR improvements?

I have one carbine that I really wan’t to make an Acog/DI RMR combo work effectively in low light.
    Has anyone on here ever experimented with attaching a small led on the fiber optics of an RMR?
    I was looking at this….
    https://evandesigns.com/collections/...chip-light-kit

Opinions?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's a neat idea, although I think you will have a challenge to work out a lighting system that parallels the ACOG's reliability. Or even sufficient reliability to rely on for that matter.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    What light are you using on the gun? I’ve never tried it with a long gun, but my TLR usually illuminates my RMR fiber adequately (but not optimally) via spill/reflection.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    What light are you using on the gun? I’ve never tried it with a long gun, but my TLR usually illuminates my RMR fiber adequately (but not optimally) via spill/reflection.
    Plhv2 on a m600df body.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    It's a neat idea, although I think you will have a challenge to work out a lighting system that parallels the ACOG's reliability. Or even sufficient reliability to rely on for that matter.
    I was just thinking of installing a light similar to the link I posted on the rmr. The Acog, I’m not really worried about, because the reticle is etched.
    The light in the link, could be installed in a small section on the rmr’s fiber optics, and covered with black tape. I could sleeve the wiring, and switch…and figure out where, and how to mount the battery holder. The light would only need to be used in the conditions that plague DI RMR’s.
    What do you think?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    Plhv2 on a m600df body.
    Hmm, I’d have expected that to do well, but I guess the dot washes in the hotspot reflection?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Hmm, I’d have expected that to do well, but I guess the dot washes in the hotspot reflection?
    Unfortunately, yes.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    I was just thinking of installing a light similar to the link I posted on the rmr. The Acog, I’m not really worried about, because the reticle is etched.
    The light in the link, could be installed in a small section on the rmr’s fiber optics, and covered with black tape. I could sleeve the wiring, and switch…and figure out where, and how to mount the battery holder. The light would only need to be used in the conditions that plague DI RMR’s.
    What do you think?
    I'm intrigued by the idea, honestly. If I had a 'Cog, I'd probably try it and see. You may end up hating it, and you may end up loving it, but you won't know until you try. Is the brightness on that LED adjustable? I can see it making the reticle bloom in the dark if the LED is too bright, but I'm just guessing.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I'm intrigued by the idea, honestly. If I had a 'Cog, I'd probably try it and see. You may end up hating it, and you may end up loving it, but you won't know until you try. Is the brightness on that LED adjustable? I can see it making the reticle bloom in the dark if the LED is too bright, but I'm just guessing.
    I’m pretty sure it’s one brightness. Now I’m wondering if I should look for a dimmer one.
    I think I could dim it various ways. I could add a resistor, I could paint the led with enamel, or I could possibly dim it with a strategically cut heat shrink tube. There are work arounds, I just need to experiment a little.
    Last edited by camoman; 10-27-22 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just wanted to update this thread.
    I got my micro led last Friday, and did some experiments. I have been super busy, but things look very promising.
    The light seems to be absolutely perfect for this use. It illuminates the reticle on my cog about as effectively as in the house, with the lights on.
    It doesn’t bloom the reticle even a little. I darkened my room, with the door open, all lights on outside my room…simulating the situation in question.
    I also ordered, and received, a Vortex spare cr2032 picatinny holder, and plan to convert it into the base of the unit. It looks pretty straight forward, possibly easy even.
    I will post a picture of the finished unit if I ever get time, to actually finish it.
    Last edited by camoman; 11-09-22 at 21:58.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast