Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint T2 vs Holosun HS515GM

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Depending on the model of Holosun. Some, like the 403r that you have are a bit taller on the bottom, as you can see when you compare it to the T1/T2. With those, an absolute cowitness riser made for the Micro will give you lower third.
    Awesome. Thank you sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dude, I think you just sold me on another Holosun... I'm going to use it as an offset on an Arisaka mount for an LVPO.
    Have you considered the much less expensive Midwest Industries mount?
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Have you considered the much less expensive Midwest Industries mount?
    I have, thank you for the suggestion. I have an Arisaka sitting in one of the parts bins though. I also like the different angle mounting options the Arisaka gives.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    This is the email I got from Aimpoint in 2018 after I told them that my T2 is dying quickly.

"Your leaving your sight on too high. The 50,000 hour battery life is judged at position 8 on the switch. As we increase brightness we increase drain on the battery exponentially. Position 9 = 25,000. 10 = 12,500. 11 = 6,250. 12 = 3,125. Factor in environmental and psychical influence on the battery as well. I always recommend to professionals and end users using our sights on their go to guns to keep their sights a little lower, and do an annual battery swap as general maintenance."

I had a T1 before it that would never last as long as I expected either. The Sparc Solar (and I assume others) is similar in that with every increase of brightness setting, the battery life is cut in half. I actually started a battery log because my Aimpoints would never last as long as I expected. Below is what I have.

24 FEB 18: dot was noticeably dim, replaced battery and full brightness restored
    21 AUG 18: dot was noticeably dim, replaced battery and full brightness restored
    Summer 19: dot was dead
    11 OCT 20: dot was dead
    5 SEP 21: dot was dead

Aimpoint dots dim as the battery gets weaker so if someone doesn't understand that, they may just turn up the brightness one level, thinking that it was just at a dim setting last time it was checked. That kills it even faster. Without a low battery warning, or some type of auto-off, even the advanced models eat batteries way faster than 50k hours at anything above level 8. That's fine if everyone knows that but in the same way that everyone can shoot 1/2" groups at 100m with M193, everyone has Aimpoints that have had the same battery for 7 years. Its not published in a manual so it took years of me wondering what was going on with two different optics before I finally reached out and got a real answer that should've been in the manual all along, or at least common gun forum knowledge. I don't doubt that people have been on the same battery for years. But they must've had it at what I'd consider to be a low setting for most of that time.

I want Aimpoint to make a T2 with shake awake. I don't want to pay for it but I'd have several even if all it did was give me comfort in knowing that it should work well. I have to send in at least one of my Sparc Solars right now for battery drain which is a huge bummer. Being made in China is a huge bummer as well. But for the price you can get them for, and the apparent "equal to" or "better than" performance for what I need, I'll take 3-4 of these over one T2.

Ok sure I guess, as long as you never want to leave it on a higher setting.
    I dunno about all that. My original T1 battery lasted 6 years being constantly on before I changed it. I usually kept it on 8, but sometimes after shooting on a sunny day I'd forget to turn it down and find it a week or two later on 10-12 then switch it back down to 8.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    … HE530G
    Is it less like looking through a straw than a straight 20mm, or just a gimmick?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Is it less like looking through a straw than a straight 20mm, or just a gimmick?
    Bought one a few years ago because I thought it looked cool, and because I found it for around $300 IIRC. It does indeed offer a superior FOV, but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. It's quite a bit heavier than the standard "Micro" sized ones, and to be fair, if you're focused on FOV with a red dot, you just might be doing it wrong.

Both eyes open, target focused shooting, and the sight body pretty much fades away anyway. Regardless of 515/T2 vs 530/MRO. Since buying the 530, I've bought two or three 515s, if that tells you anything. I certainly don't hate it, but I don't think it offers any game changing advantages either.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    … if you're focused on FOV with a red dot, you just might be doing it wrong.

Both eyes open, target focused shooting, and the sight body pretty much fades away anyway.
    I’m definitely not trying to focus on FOV, I just find the micro distracting, like it pulls my focus into the tube. I never have that happen with 30mm AP.

It is probably something wrong with my eyes or processing, I’m also very distracted by my glasses being less than perfectly clean.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    necro post but, seeing as I have both aimpoint and the 515 on rigs with thousands upon thousands of rounds and zero issues for both, I'm curious what everyone else's experience is. I think the longer these cheaper rds are out with time proven results, the more resistant people will be to spending more money. curious

Feedback Score
    We now have the romeo 4xt pro also. The holosuns seem to not do well with nv, but are good solutions for spares or fun-guns if you dont mind the china factor.

My 403b has been reliable on a machinegun and rifle for a while now (swapped back onto thenrifle recently). It sucks for passive aiming with nods though.

I am curious how the higher end Holosuns compare with glass tint and clarity.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 10-30-23 at 08:14.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    We now have the romeo 4xt pro also. The holosuns seem to not do well with nv, but are good solutions for spares or fun-guns if you dont mind the china factor.

My 403b has been reliable on a machinegun and rifle for a while now (swapped back onto thenrifle recently). It sucks for passive aiming with nods though.

I am curious how the higher end Holosuns compare with glass tint and clarity.
    I'm interested in the Romeo. It's getting put on military rifles now as well.

Have you tried the AEMS under NV yet?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast