Thread: .300 WSM/Berger 200.20x freebore for long range?

Feedback Score

.300 WSM/Berger 200.20x freebore for long range?

Hey guys, I've been looking into building a .30 cal for long range (out to ~1mile) that does well in a Tikka action, and it seems a lot of guys are fans of the .300 WSM in this set up. I already have a chassis, scope, and 20 moa rail that I'd use. My 7mm Rem Mag is in it now, but I'd like to turn it back into a hunting rifle with a lighter stock.

So in the .300 WSM it looks like the freebore is kind of a big deal with trying to push the heavier bullets. I'd like to shoot Berger 200.20x's, and have been looking at what freebore works well with they, and am seeing FTR guys shooting them in .308 with a .170 freebore. And from what I can tell by the SAAMI chamber print for the .300 WSM, it has a .1884 freebore, which should be good for the 200.20x. 2.316-2.1276=.1884, print link below. Am I doing this correct? Am I even using the right wording? Anybody know or have experience with .300 WSM and 200.20x's? Also, would you go with a 28" or 30" barrel?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.loaddata.com/articles/PD...0300%20WSM.pdf

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm not an expert in Tikkaology, but aren't all their actions long? Thus it wouldn't make sense to shoot a Short Mag when you have room for the longer Win Mag? Again... just thinking out loud.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I originally was thinking .300 PRC or WM, but from what I understand the Tikka action really isn't a true "long action". It's more of a "med-long" action, and does fine with SAAMI magnums, like factory hunting ammo, but once you start trying to load long with heavies you have to start single sledding, and the smaller ejection port can mess with you there as well. My long loaded 162 ELDM in my Tikka 7 mm Rem Mag are all single loaded, and kind of a PITA, my 160GR Accubond hunting ammo loaded at 3.290, runs absolutely great out of the rifle from the magazine. Hence the 300 WSM loaded long is about perfect, and will run them from the magazine as well. Plus, I have been curious about the .300 WSM for a while now.
    Last edited by IALoder; 11-01-22 at 11:36.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Gotcha. We shot a 300 WSM that had a feather barrel for hunting. I was rough. Never tried handloading for it however. Best of luck on this.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v