Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer Shortage is it over??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Primer Shortage is it over??

There is one positive sign that the great primer drought of 2021-22 may finally be ending. Midsouth Shooters Supply have been listing 1000 count CCI BR4 Small Rifle Benchrest Primers as in stock for nearly 3 weeks.

Of course their listed price of $149.99 plus HazMat and Shipping certainly chills one's hands stiff before reaching for yonder Visa, but nevertheless having any popular primers in stock for more 3 weeks has to be a record in these troubled times.

Of course we reloaders may have just gotten smarter, and prefer to wait for ridiculous prices to come down naturally, but even so, any primers lasting for sale this long, has to be a good thing......n'est-ce pas?
    Last edited by BobinNC; 11-01-22 at 09:32.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    Of course we reloaders may have just gotten smarter, and prefer to wait for ridiculous prices to come down naturally,
    That'll be the day. I think Stupid eventually runs out of money or the foolish pursuit gets old. I've gotten to the point that I don't even look at my emails to see what's in stock anymore.

Seems it could be well into next year before pricing is anywhere near tempting.

(Also.. I'd call it Hoarding. I seriously doubt there was ever any shortage.)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've gotten to the point that I don't even look at my emails to see what's in stock anymore.
    I periodically spot check ads for 9 mm brass blazer, and also specific manufacturers of 55 grain 5.56.

Still bouncing around $15/box for brass blazer case price $400/1k for name brand 5.56 M193ish fmj.

I occasionally see local sales for better, but not by much. So this may be the new norm given inflation.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I periodically spot check ads for 9 mm brass blazer, and also specific manufacturers of 55 grain 5.56.

Still bouncing around $15/box for brass blazer case price $400/1k for name brand 5.56 M193ish fmj.

I occasionally see local sales for better, but not by much. So this may be the new norm given inflation.
    Ammo prices are just a little steep in most cases. Reloading stuff is full retard.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    If you look primers are in and out a lot lately,, you can find them most days in many places, just not fair priced. A bunch of my shooting buddies just bought 10K together from TargetSports I think. Shipping is free but with Hazmat, @ $30 bucks it brought them up to $93ish per 1K. I don't need any for a long time still but when they come down I'll be sure and grab a few "extra" that's for sure. The cheapest I have seen is around $80ish shipped with Hazmat.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    Of course their listed price of $149.99 plus HazMat and Shipping certainly chills one's hands stiff before reaching for yonder Visa, but nevertheless having any popular primers in stock for more 3 weeks has to be a record in these troubled times.
    Anything can be kept in stock if the price is high enough.

Feedback Score
    (Also.. I'd call it Hoarding. I seriously doubt there was ever any shortage.)
    Point of order... If you're planning to re-sell them, then it's "hoarding." If you're planning to use them, then it's "stockpiling."

I have a healthy stockpile...

Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    If you look primers are in and out a lot lately, you can find them most days in many places, just not fair priced.
    Supply and demand has nothing to do with what's "fair." If they're not worth the price to you, then don't buy them.

Does nobody teach/learn economics anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Anything can be kept in stock if the price is high enough.
    Correct. If the demand isn't there, then they won't sell. The cure for high prices is... high prices, which will diminish demand.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ammo prices are just a little steep in most cases. Reloading stuff is full retard.
    I'm seeing projectiles at close to normal locally and mail order. Brass cases as well, and starting to come back into supply. Powders about 20-25% higher than normal.

But primers are just crazy, double to triple pre-runup prices

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just when I thought we were seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and primers were starting to drop in price and increase in availability, the war in Ukraine is starting to create shortages.

Did anyone see the document from Lapua that said they are halting brass production on quite a few popular cases so that they can supply the Ukraine war effort?
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Point of order... If you're planning to re-sell them, then it's "hoarding." If you're planning to use them, then it's "stockpiling."

I have a healthy stockpile...

Supply and demand has nothing to do with what's "fair." If they're not worth the price to you, then don't buy them.

Does nobody teach/learn economics anymore?

Correct. If the demand isn't there, then they won't sell. The cure for high prices is... high prices, which will diminish demand.
    Well said sir...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast