Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade or Replace non-optic Glocks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah. I'm excited to see what's to come. I'd parallel this to the early RDS carbine days/Eotech years. Some day, guys may have pistols with really good RDS and NO IRONs.
    SOME guys, for sure. Not this one. I cant believe people using weapons for SD/SHTF or whatever believe in NOT using buis. WHY? Are they too heavy? Whats the downside to running optics with BUIS? Genuinely curious, asking for educational purposes.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I don't feel the need to modify / RDS all my pistols. Some are just spares after a time and it's nice having a couple Glock that are vetted and good to go. So if I ever had a main Glock lost / stolen / etc, I would just upgrade one of the known quantities. And if I ever need money, you can turn a 9MM Glock into $400-500 in a couple hours. Or if we go Mad Max, a 9MM Glock is worth a lot more than worthless greenbacks.

With that being said, I have 5 with RDS on which is sufficient for what I want.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 11-02-22 at 19:16.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    You can always have CHPWS mill the mos system or have Agency mill Their AOS system instead of going through the grief of posting ads and shipping and/or ffl transfers etc and then buying after all that.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I don't feel the need to modify / RDS all my pistols. Some are just spares after a time and it's nice having a couple Glock that are vetted and good to go. So if I ever had a main Glock lost / stolen / etc, I would just upgrade one of the known quantities. And if I ever need money, you can turn a 9MM Glock into $400-500 in a couple hours. Or if we go Mad Max, a 9MM Glock is worth a lot more than worthless greenbacks.

I have to agree 100% with you. My wife and I have been fortunate to have won Glock pistols in GSSF matches both on performance and random draw. When we did we chose MOS models (2)-G45 MOS (1)- G34 MOS,(1)- G40 MOS (1)- G41 MOS and (1)- G48MOS. I also had my first two RDS pistols milled back in 2012 / 2013 for a total of seven. I don't plan on selling any of my non RDS pistols but will probably give them to my children and grandchildren in the future.
    I'll keep my weapons,my freedom,and my money!! You can keep the CHANGE!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You could throw a Dagger slide on the 19, and mount an optic. Easy button.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Upgrade or Replace non-optic Glocks

I definitely think milling the slides is better than MOS which is equal or better than most aftermarket slides. This is taking into account both cost and reliability. I might consider a Dagger slide for a range gun, and I would carry a Glock MOS for duty, but I prefer a milled Glock slide for the lower mount height and it’s Glock reliable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

Good points and stuff I’ve been considering….which is why I’m soliciting opinions that I may have missed or to see how others think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Upgrade or Replace non-optic Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by ARx3 View Post
    I have to agree 100% with you. My wife and I have been fortunate to have won Glock pistols in GSSF matches both on performance and random draw. When we did we chose MOS models (2)-G45 MOS (1)- G34 MOS,(1)- G40 MOS (1)- G41 MOS and (1)- G48MOS. I also had my first two RDS pistols milled back in 2012 / 2013 for a total of seven. I don't plan on selling any of my non RDS pistols but will probably give them to my children and grandchildren in the future.
    Wow! You guys have done well and won
    some nice models!

Nice post.

Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 11-04-22 at 19:56.

Feedback Score
    No doubt. I'm not much of a pistol owner. But I'm on the sideline for a year or two until the bugs are worked out of the RDS revolution. (mounting and sight evolution specifically)

I wouldn't want to outfit a handful of pistols, and then have to replace them when a better mousetrap is released. And there's no doubt that the best is yet to come.

I see your points and don’t disagree, but my journey this far into red dots has me confident in what moving towards. I simply shoot better with red dot optics, much better, and with the dry fire and range work, I’m not any slower than with irons at this point.

I’ve currently got a 43X I had milled, three 9MM MOS models (19, 48*2) with dots (one went to my daughter), and I’m putting a dot on a new XDM Elite 10MM. That will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Most of my dots are Swampfox. Their mil discount is excellent and they have been solid and consistent. One is 3+ years old and I replace batteries once per year. I’ve also got one on a Henry .22 that is working out well. All hold zero since initial adjustment. Had one on my Staccato P and it held fine. Sold the gun to a friend. Had a DPP on a P320 I ran for a while but I don’t like how the Leupold is set up. Didn’t like the Sig either so they are gone but I know they are still functioning fine.

I’m sure better tech is coming, so I’ll deal with that as needed, but not gonna replace stuff that works.

My internal voice has been telling me to just hang on to my iron sighted Glocks and add the MOS models slower, which is what I’ll probably do. Probably gonna slip a PDP into the mix too just to see how I like it.

I appreciate all the inputs. Lots of good perspectives.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I have several Gen 4 Glocks that I like but rarely shoot anymore as they are iron sight models. Primarily looking at two G19’s and a G17 to start.

Round counts range from around 10K on the G19 to about 2K on the G17. All are in excellent condition, with a few mods like Vickers mag release, slide lock, and Ghost connectors.

I’ve embraced red dots and I either want these guns to be modded or replaced.

I don’t want to go through the slide milling again. It’s fine, but I’m not going to go that route. I’m either going to sell these guns and buy optic ready models (Glock MOS or maybe a PDP…) or I’m gonna get a new optic ready slide.

The Brownells Glock slides are $160. I would likely buy a slide guts kit for another $110, and I’d still need sights for another $80-100….and then the optic. So excluding the optic, I’m looking at around $350-380 for the slide pre tax.

I can buy a G19-17 MOS for $477 before tax and sell my non optic gun for $400-450 pretty easy.

I currently have two guns I milled and three MOS models and honestly I see little difference in them.

Leaning towards selling them over modifying them….

Am I missing any better options?

Buy bare slide
    Swap all parts including sights over to new slide.
    Replace all the springs on your 19

Yeah. I'm excited to see what's to come. I'd parallel this to the early RDS carbine days/Eotech years. Some day, guys may have pistols with really good RDS and NO IRONs.
    I disagree, but I also shoot a bit of pistol. I view an rds as a permenant mod (hence a preference for an milling). If i need to replace my rmr in 10 years cause I killed it and the new bestrdsofalltime is out, Ill buy a new slide as well. Thats like $20 a year when you break it down.

...then i can have an irons retro pistol in 2032 and be cool online.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-03-22 at 13:20.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast