Thread: Vortex Raptor Binos

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Vortex Raptor Binos

I have owned a pair of Vortex Raptor 8.5x32 binoculars for a few years now. I bought them to keep in my truck because they are fairly inexpensive ($100ish), optical performance is ok, and a return under Vortex's warranty someday is a given because temperature swings and vibration make a pretty rough environment for optics.

Although I hate they are made in China, I would unhestitatingly recommend them to anyone looking for budget friendly binos. Mine have ridden under the back seat of my truck through a few Alabama summers, been rained on, dropped, used, loaned to a co-worker for a trip to India (including the Himalayas), sat on the bench for many a range session, and have survived just fine.

They are not perfect, for sure. They are not as good optically as the Nikon Prostaff 7 10x42, Leupold BX-2 Cascades 8x42, or Vortex Diamondback HD 8x28 binoculars I have compared them to, but they are also 1/2 the price or less. They seem to be about as good optically as an older Japanese pair of 7x35 Tasco binoculars I have.

I know the guys who own $1K+ binos equate cheaper binoculars to taping two coke bottles together and looking through them, but for the rest of us I think the Raptors are worth buying as a beater, loaner, or spare pair.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-05-22 at 09:51.