Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First AR-10 Build, advice / questions

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I love Armalites.

I don't like A1 or A2 fixed butt-stocks -- they're too long with the longer big-frame / big-caliber receivers.

I prefer the Armalite or Vltor extended receiver extension with an XH buffer.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    I'm reading this thread and scratching my head a bit...

When I decided to try an AR-10 type build, the universal input was to make sure and use the same manufacturer receivers and ideally BCG.

The one clear input from the AR-10 community is that the AR-10s are not nearly as standardized, and mix and match can be problematic.

So I see no need for adjustable gas blocks and exotic buffers and that type of thing if you go with mainstream components, especially if they are known to work together.

I can see a different approach if you were trying to build a super competitive long distance bench gun, though you likely would not be trying to build an AR-10, at least in my area.

I'm an LMT fan, and would love to have an MWS. But the expense and the weight makes that non-attractive for me, and this basic AR-10 build scratches that itch.
    Agreed, most common problems are induced by mix and match. I got lucky and found a complete upper that matches the noveske lower I have and then used armalite appropriate pattern parts for the rest. What I'm trying to do now is ditch the adjustable gas block. I have never been a fan of them and have seen them induce problems on several guns. Beyond that its pretty straight forward, called armalite and asked how they set the b pattern guns up from the factory and ordered those parts. With luck it'll run right out of the box. I tried to minimize mix and match as little as possible with the only non armalite parts being the noveske lower. The end goal is a very reliable hunting, pest control, and who knows what else.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    For anyone else who's curious, Armalite 18" rifle gas stainless barrels are .0935 gas ports. Going to try it with the armalite ar10 buffer and spring and see how it runs

Feedback Score
    The gun should run fine with a standard gas block and an Armalite Carbine RE kit. The only large frames I see having problems are running the shorter DPMS style 308 carbine RE kits. The armalite kits are the easy button.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Waiting for the lower parts kit to come in and then it'll be ready to shoot. Minor changes to the upper included getting rid of the 3 chamber factory brake and replacing with a surefire 3 prong, armalite ar-10 carbine receiver extension, buffer, and spring. Probably going to be replacing the handguard in the future with a PRI and upgrading the glass. Pic in link below

https://imgur.com/a/V3gr2yX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12