Thread: OWB carry in front of the point of the hip?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

OWB carry in front of the point of the hip?

There was an interesting discussion on another forum on the merits of OWB carry in front of the point of the hip (maybe as far to the front as appendix carry) if you have shoulder issues rotating your arm backwards to draw from a holster at the 3-4 o'clock. It makes sense in theory, and I'd like to experiment with it since I have shoulder problems, but I don't find any holsters with a RH strong side backward cant to give a natural draw from that position.
    The discussion on other site did not result is useful suggestions. Are there any members here with experience moving a strong side belt holster with a backward cant forward to solve a shoulder problem?
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    This is what uspsa open shooters do. Its faster and easier.

You see it with mags also

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A "cross draw" holster might meet your needs or a kydex holster where the clip angle can be adjusted to suit your needs.

That said, the primary issue is that with larger than sub compact pistols, it doesn't work for most body types in the sitting position. The crease where your lower abdominals meet your upper thigh collapses, and sandwiches/tacos the hard pistol in that area.

It's definitely faster as USPSA does not allow forward of 3 o'clock for the non open divisions because it is indeed faster and is not really "concealed" in an OWB holster.

Consider standard appendix carry. Even with "nothing in the chamber" Israeli carry, it's still comparable in speed to a 4 o'clock draw with one in the chamber at close (inside of 7 yards) distance for me. Appendix with one in the chamber is consistently faster of course.

Or shooting with the other hand. I've learned with enough practice, the non-dominant hand can be quite proficient in regards to shooting skills one handed or two, but that does not translate into writing with a pen one bit. Don't know the circumstances of your shoulder injury, but if chronic and worsening, something to consider.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    JM Custom Kydex is making me a custom version of their OWB2 holster with a 10 degree negative cant. Thanks tony!
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you own/have access to a Safariland 3 hole back holster you can test your theory on reverse draw stroke angle.