Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New King Cobra vs Python?

Feedback Score

New King Cobra vs Python?

I love my 2020 King Cobra 3 inch.

I've yet to handle a new model Python.

I've read the internals are the same configuration. The Python is a larger frame.

What does the Python really offer? More weight? A larger handle? Adjustable rear sight? Is it more durable?

Feedback Score
    And another thing...it seems like the Anaconda is pretty close to Python in size

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have all 3 except the King Cobra is the Target 4”. The Cobra by far feels the best in the hand. The triggers are closer between the python and anaconda than the python and cobra.

I received one of the first Pythons and it was a little dinged up, sent it back to Colt and they made it right. The only issue is they seemed to put the heavier spring in it because there were many complaints that it was having trouble lighting off hard primers in cheaper ammo. The trigger pull was very close between it and my early 90’s python, but it is noticeable different now that I got it back.
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 11-10-22 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you go to this thread, you can see all 3 next to each other. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...em-around-here

Feedback Score
    That's the impression I'm getting. That the KC is the best value. Unless you want the .44 or want to mount an optic.

Perhaps the KC is the gun to carry for SD, the Anaconda for fun, to admire, and hunting, mounting an optic, and the Python for...people who loved seeing it in a movie / TV show? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

These revolvers are so nice, I feel I need two of them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    If you go to this thread, you can see all 3 next to each other. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...em-around-here
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    For models that have it, is the adjustable rear sight as problematic as some say?

I love the smooth face on my KC. Do both the Python & Anaconda have grooved triggers?

I'd be interested in a 3-inch Python or 4-inch Anaconda. But they don't yet make a 4-inch Anaconda.

Feedback Score
    I had a chance to handle a couple of new Pythons a week or two ago, and an Anaconda.

I own a 3” King Cobra with the fixed sight.

Anecdotal samples of 2 Pythons and 1 Anaconda:

1.) Double action triggers on the Pythons and Anaconda felt lighter to me than the King Cobra. Could just be the longer trigger stroke making the overall weight seem lighter. They’re so good I almost forgot to try the single action.

2.) Single action on all of them is crisp, but the weight is a bit heavier than I would like. No big deal since the DA is so good.

3.) The Anaconda is a big bastard. Noticeably larger than the Python.

4.) The ejector rods on both Python and Anaconda are considerably more robust than the small rod on the King Cobra.

5.) The adjustable sights that Colt has selected look sketchy as hell. Plus the front sight/rear sight notch ratio is trash. Way way to tight a sight picture.

6.) The Pythons were a 4.25” bbl and 3” bbl. I liked both, but the grip on the 3” bbl is the same as the 4.25” gun and needs to be something shorter/rounded.

On the plus side for the sights and grips, grips can be replaced, and the nice people at Wilson Combat have the rear and front sights covered!

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Colt-Py...products/1544/

So now a Python or two, and an Anaconda are strait up on my list of gotta have.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 11-10-22 at 21:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I had a chance to handle a couple of new Pythons a week or two ago, and an Anaconda.

I own a 3” King Cobra with the fixed sight.

Anecdotal samples of 2 Pythons and 1 Anaconda:

1.) Double action triggers on the Pythons and Anaconda felt lighter to me than the King Cobra. Could just be the longer trigger stroke making the overall weight seem lighter. They’re so good I almost forgot to try the single action.

2.) Single action on all of them is crisp, but the weight is a bit heavier than I would like. No big deal since the DA is so good.

3.) The Anaconda is a big bastard. Noticeably larger than the Python.

4.) The ejector rods on both Python and Anaconda are considerably more robust than the small rod on the King Cobra.

5.) The adjustable sights that Colt has selected look sketchy as hell. Plus the front sight/rear sight notch ratio is trash. Way way to tight a sight picture.

6.) The Pythons were a 4.25” bbl and 3” bbl. I liked both, but the grip on the 3” bbl is the same as the 4.25” gun and needs to be something shorter/rounded.

On the plus side for the sights and grips, grips can be replaced, and the nice people at Wilson Combat have the rear and front sights covered!

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Colt-Py...products/1544/

So now a Python or two, and an Anaconda are strait up on my list of gotta have.
    Thanks for reviews!

2. Sounds like my KC. I don't fire it SA except occasionally to check zero of a new load or something.

3. Hm. Only looks slight bigger / heavier in pics but I'll take your word for it.

4. That's good. I do smack an ejector rod. Although not with much resistance because I've had no issues with tight / stuck cases.

5. & 6. That's just what Hackathon said. Rear sight terrible, 3 inch needs rounded grip frame.

It's good to see those aftermarket rears available. Sold out for now.

My KC has the fixed rear (would be nice if a little deeper) and gold front. I like the front. Easy to change if I ever wanted to.

Feedback Score
    Wilson is offering both front and rear sights if you missed it or didn’t scroll down.

I will try if possible to pick up a 3” or 4.25” Python (maybe both) and replace the rear sight with a Wilson Combat U notch adjustable, and buy a red fiber optic front and gold bead front.

The Anaconda I will upgrade to the Wilson Combat adjustable square notch rear, and buy one each of the red fiber optic, and gold bead front.

I might just back order those WC sights to have on hand.

I would love to see someone who is a skilled machinist make a super low mount for an Aimpoint ACRO for the Anaconda. I wish Colt had provisions for optic mounting on the Python. Maybe the barrel ribs are wide enough to mill ACRO mounts into?
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 11-11-22 at 14:18.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast