Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New King Cobra vs Python?

Feedback Score
    Yes, I did see the links. Great that those are available! (Once back in stock)

What about speed loaders? I use the Safariland loaders for a S&W K in my King Cobra and they fit perfectly.

Is there a Safariland model for the Python?

Feedback Score
    Not sure about speed loaders. Probably the same as an L frame.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Not sure about speed loaders. Probably the same as an L frame.
    Says here:

https://safariland.com/products/spee...-comp-ii-11231

Model #3 is for a Python. #5 for an L frame S&W. #4 for a K frame.

I don't remember which ones I use that fit my KC perfectly. I'll have to check & see. Safariland doesn't list it, officially. Perhaps I'll drop them an email about that.

Feedback Score
    Are any rounded-butt grips available for the new Python?

A buddy of mine has a new 6 inch Python he bought about a year ago and has yet to fire it. I need to get him to the range so I can shoot that thing.

Feedback Score
    I don’t think so. In order to round but a Python you have to be willing to cut on the grip frame. That’s how Hackathorn round butted that 3” of his. He sourced a set of stocks for some old Colt sheriffs model, and had a gunsmith count out the frame to match them.

Feedback Score
    I don’t think so. In order to round but a Python you have to be willing to cut on the grip frame. That’s how Hackathorn round butted that 3” of his. He sourced a set of stocks for some old Colt sheriffs model, and had a gunsmith count out the frame to match them.
    Ah. I misheard and thought just the grips could be modded.

I'd be willing to have that done should I get one and like it enough.

My issue with the Python is what does the nearly 40 oz 3 inch Python do better than the 28 oz 3 inch King Cobra I already have?

Be more pleasant to fire and last longer using .357 mag ammo?

I'm not sure I'd take advantage of that. I have a nice .38 +p load (might be +p+ I dunno) that doesn't recoil much and doesn't feel like it's hard on me or the gun. Accuracy is good, easy ejection, etc.

What keeps me from loading magnums isn't the frame it's the 3 inch barrel. Not much to be gained between hot .38 and medium .357 mag from 3 inch tubes. And I don't think I want to carry anything longer.

Feedback Score
    How ridgged / sharp / deep / prominent are the grooves on the Python / Anaconda triggers?

I don't want them at all but if they are vague (like on some Berettas I have) I could live with it.
    Last edited by Ron3; 11-12-22 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    I didn’t even notice them to be honest. So not that sharp I guess.

Feedback Score
    I didn’t even notice them to be honest. So not that sharp I guess.
    That's good.

Maybe the Python needs a "Python Carry" model? 3 inch, Wilson Combat rear sight, rounded butt, smooth-faced trigger, stubby or no hammer spur, optic ready.

Or, Colt might just tell those potential customers to buy a King Cobra carry and enjoy it being 10 oz + lighter.

Feedback Score
    That would be cool.

I think Colt might consider a 7 shot revolver on the Python frame as well, put an ACRO mount on the top of the frame, drift adjustable rear sight that takes up minimal space that is just tall enough to be useable in the bottom of the ACRO window. Then add a smooth face trigger, and a DLC finish. Round butt the frame and have VZ grips make a nice aggressive set of stocks. If they really wanted to be awesome they could also offer that same exact gun in a 6 shot 10mm cut for moon clips.

As a carry gun the King Cobra is more size efficient for sure for those wanting to carry a package that weighs that much and only has 6 rounds on board. In some jurisdictions that’s probably not a terrible option though, and at least the KC frame seems robust enough to feed a steady diet of stout loads to train with the gun.

I just feel really cramped on the King Cobra and K frame sized guns personally. Not something I enjoy shooting because of that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast