Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New King Cobra vs Python?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I’m a python guy. So Bias. But I’d be shocked if you didn’t absolutely love the Python. In any size.

Feedback Score
    I've handled a few of the latest Pythons to come out. You have to inspect them from top to bottom and inside to make sure you get your $ worth. Sad that Colt still can't get there quality control on these to a higher standard.

Feedback Score
    I'm late to the thread but I have a new Python, KC 3inch and the KC Target. I have ordered (on back order) the Wilson sights for the Python and KC Target. My favorite of the 3 is the KC 3 inch, as is it fits my hand perfectly. The grips on the target model are not comfortable for me and are hard to hold on to. The python is something I've always wanted and it was the first of the 3 I bought. It's a great pistol just not great for carrying concealed in my opinion. The triggers on all 3 are great, better than my S&W's and my Kimber K6s. I have put a spring kit the Kimber and that helped it out.

Interesting article, I linked below, on the 38, 38+p and 357 mag in short barreled revolvers.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...vs-357-magnum/

Feedback Score
    I’m really, really late to the party but want to post my experience.

This 3” 2020 Python is impossible not to love. I have small hands and these panel grips work very well for me. The grips are made by Arizona Custom Grips and it’s their ivory substitute called magna-tusk. Very dense and durable. Fit was perfect. The side benefit of service style grips is that I have no trouble with a speed loader now. My HKS M3 speed loader fits perfect. I don’t regularly shoot full power .357 so recoil is not a big factor. .38 +P is not at all hard to control with this setup. Only thing I don’t like is the ****ing wobble on the rear sight. Even though I’ve had NO accuracy issues I just hate it. Got a WC rear sight in route.

I bought a Colt King Cobra when it first hit the market. I liked it but didn’t love it. Ended up trading it off like you do with guns that you’re kinda indifferent to. But the Python is a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyweight View Post

This 3” 2020 Python is impossible not to love. I have small hands and these panel grips work very well for me. The grips are made by Arizona Custom Grips and it’s their ivory substitute called magna-tusk. Very dense and durable. Fit was perfect. The side benefit of service style grips is that I have no trouble with a speed loader now. My HKS M3 speed loader fits perfect. I don’t regularly shoot full power .357 so recoil is not a big factor. .38 +P is not at all hard to control with this setup. Only thing I don’t like is the ****ing wobble on the rear sight. Even though I’ve had NO accuracy issues I just hate it. Got a WC rear sight in route.

I bought a Colt King Cobra when it first hit the market. I liked it but didn’t love it. Ended up trading it off like you do with guns that you’re kinda indifferent to. But the Python is a keeper.

Nice!

I like my 3" King Cobra. I'd have a Python if there was a 7 shot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Nice!

I like my 3" King Cobra. I'd have a Python if there was a 7 shot.
    Ron…..speaking of 7 shots do you have a 686 plus? Would love to know how you like it if you do.

I was eyeballing those hard at my LGS. They had the 2.5” Performance Center model….unfluted cylinder. $1,300. Same price as the Python…..so you can see which one I took home. But I might be back. It was sweet.

Feedback Score
    Ron…..speaking of 7 shots do you have a 686 plus? Would love to know how you like it if you do.

I was eyeballing those hard at my LGS. They had the 2.5” Performance Center model….unfluted cylinder. $1,300. Same price as the Python…..so you can see which one I took home. But I might be back. It was sweet.

I do and I've been pleasantly surprised by it!

I refused the first one because the cylinder was sticky. The distributor sent out another and it was good.

Mine is a 3". Factory and my own .357 loads always have good ejection. No sticky extraction at all. The adjustable sight works well. Front sight is good, too. The trigger seemed heavy but smooth. Now after some use it feels a little lighter & smoother. 98% of my shooting is DA.

I was concerned the trigger would keep me from shooting it as well as the light, incredibly smooth trigger in the KC. To my surprise I was wrong. It's weird how well I shoot both of these guns. I clear a plate rack at 25 yds with good speed, sometimes not missing once, and think "That was me? With a DA 3" revolver? Sweet!"

That never gets old.

I forget exact measurements but my forcing cones are good and the gun shoots jacketed and .358" lead bullets well. The weight dampens recoil probably just like your Python.

I have the Hogue "Bantam" grip on mine. It is a tiny bit small for me but it conceals very well. The factory wood grip that looked great was terrible. Wrong shape, finger grooves completely off, very little texture.

I replaced the internal lock with the button. Didn't want to worry about it locking up ever.

I got an Adkin (?) Optic mount for a HS507K. I shoot that well, though haven't shot it much yet, because with optic adjusted to its extreme bullets land 10 in high at 15 yds. The guy/company advised me to shim it. (Gee, thanks) I did but incorrectly. So I did it again and I think it's going to work out fine but haven't tested this out yet.

I was almost hoping I wouldn't like the 686+ so I'd sell it and get the Python but, nope. My '23 686 is an excellent revolver.

Doesn't handle or draw quite as fast as the King Cobra but the 686 soaks up recoil better. That being said the KC handles .38 just fine and mild .357's tolerable for a few dozen rounds. (To my hand)

I'd like an Anaconda .44 4" that is made now, but, I have no practical application for it. I just enjoy loading and firing .44 Russian. (Enjoy firing .44 spl too, haven't loaded it)
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-04-24 at 09:39.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)

This 3” 2020 Python is impossible not to love. I have small hands and these panel grips work very well for me. The grips are made by Arizona Custom Grips and it’s their ivory substitute called magna-tusk. Very dense and durable. Fit was perfect. The side benefit of service-style grips is that I have no trouble with a speed loader now. My HKS M3 speed loader fits perfectly. I don’t regularly shoot full-power .357 so recoil is not a big factor. .38 +P is not at all hard to control with this setup. The only thing I don’t like is the ****ing wobble on the rear sight. Even though I’ve had NO accuracy issues I just hate it. Got a WC rear sight in route.

I bought a Colt King Cobra when it first hit the market. I liked it but didn’t love it. Ended up trading it off like you do with guns that you’re kinda indifferent to. But Python is a keeper.

Oh boy, that's what I feel and I don't even have one yet. I ended up selling an M1 today so now I have the $$$ for a Python, still struggling between the 3 & the 4.25 one. I love the look of the 3-inch but assume the 4.25 would feel/balance better but until ya handle both I guess it would be hard to judge. The LGS where I went had an NIB 686 come in for a guy and I got to look and feel it, nice gun and 7 rds is sweet but still not as intriguing to me as the Python, he also had a King Cobra 4incher, and yea its nice and less $$$ but not the same in my eyes. Is it worth it or not, in my mind, I've always wanted a Python and missed out on the older ones so I'm not gonna miss out on one now, LOL. It's just gonna be a blaster, range gun, maybe I would carry it if I did settle on the 3-inch one but will decide in the coming days. Plenty of good info above so I just need to look and decide,maybe go watch a few goobers on YouTube and see what theyy say,LOL

Feedback Score
    I need to update regarding my 686+.

The other day I was firing 187 gr bullets with double grease rings. Apparently it was too much gook for the tight gun and the residue caused problems in just 50-75 rounds. Cylinder didn't want to open, didn't want to close, didn't want to turn. It was difficult to pull the trigger. But I kept going.

The ejector rod was not loose. No light strikes.

I fired the same ammo through the King Cobra. No problems.

After cleaning the 686+ later I dry fired it a few times and something wrong. Then the mainspring popped loose. Removed the grip and found the loc-tited strain screw nice and tight. But I removed it so I could get the mainspring back in place. Removed the side plate. No loose screws, nothing inside looked damaged.

Put it all back together and everything seems fine.

I don't know what went wrong.

This isn't the first time I've had "Can always count on" guns fail. I'll probably start carrying a back up again because I can't trust anything 100% to work.

I'll probably sell this gun and buy a 2nd King Cobra. I'll use one to carry occasionally and the other to do most of the practice.

At least if it breaks (hammers sometimes break) I can send it back as-is. The S&W has a few mods (replaced internal lock with plug) that I'd have to swap out or S&W won't honor the warranty or charge me to reinstall the infernal lock.

It's a real let down. The King Cobra and the 686+ have been my favorite revolvers ever. Tied for 1st.

2nd place is the Ruger LCR line.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234