Thread: CompM5 question

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

CompM5 question

I'm in the market for a new optic and had a quick question about the Aimpoint CompM5. Does it really get 50,000 hours with a AAA battery?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It might, or it might not.

What do the specs state on the product's webpage?
    Last edited by grizzman; 11-11-22 at 18:53.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It says 50,000 hours on setting 7. That just seems crazy for a standard AAA.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    AAA cells have significantly more capacity than the CR2032 cells that the Micro series use. In most cases, as long as the intensity is kept at 7 or lower, they'll run well over a year.

The common practice is to swap them once a year and completely ignore the specs....since keeping them at brightness level 7 or less 100% of the time is damn near impossible.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Nope. The first gen sights had some issues and the battery drain was bad. They’ve since fixed this and you will definitely get over a years worth of battery use at a useful indoor brightness. I still think all the new Aimpoint production micros have had their illumination neutered however.

Feedback Score
    Mine is going on a year on the first battery, albeit I ditched the alkaline it came with for a Lithium AAA which should have better life. I run it on setting 8. It’s still running strong and will hit full brightness no issues.

I will change it out for another Energizer lithium AAA in a month when my calendar reminder goes off.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do the new M5s have less brightness than the older ones, like the new T2s compared to older T2s?

Feedback Score
    Some people think so. I can’t tell you since I don’t have an older one for reference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Do the new M5s have less brightness than the older ones, like the new T2s compared to older T2s?
    I believe so, which makes setting 7 rarely usable in real situations. Night time? The moment a light is on you get wash out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Damn. I’m in the market for a new optic. I was considering an M5 to hopefully avoid the output reduction of new T2s.

My several year old T2 is great in this regard. The MRO’s levels are spaced more widely apart than I prefer, but it’s been completely usable. Maybe the Duty is worth considering more strongly. I’d run it as a lower 1/3, so the odd optic height doesn’t matter.