Thread: Carry gun evaluation drills?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Carry gun evaluation drills?

I'd like to do a series of drills, same day, to evaluate performance of myself & several pistols.

Something I can put down some numbers. I have a timer of course. Each has already proven reliable so that is not in question. I want numbers for time and accuracy.

I was thinking of this:

1. 6 rds 25 yds no time limit. Using the most accurate ammo I have or 3 types or brands of ammo. For precision and point of impact. X3.

2. Bill Drill drawn from concealed holster. Time & accuracy test. X3.

3. Draw & fire one shot from 7, 15, and 25 yds. For time & accuracy. Will use most accurate ammo in each gun from previous 25 yd test. X6.

Fire 10 rds from each gun before it is tested just to get used to it. I have hundreds of rounds (actually 1k plus) through each gun already.

Any other ideas or additional drills I should do?

The goal is partly to separate what I like to what actually performs best with me. And knowledge and fun. I suspect there won't be much difference except for the small guns not doing as well at 25 yds.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The draw and first shot at from 3 to 7 yds. for “Carry Gun” drill is prudent, if not vital.
    Starting from different positions (seated, back to target, bent over, etc) is helpful.
    The old “Mozambique”, I guess “failure to stop” now is good, practiced at speed, 3-7 yds.
    While I totally agree 25 yd. hits at speed are desirable, that’s likely statistically irrelevant.
    There are any number of good Drills to be found online, or Utube.
    Last edited by gaijin; 11-12-22 at 07:46.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The draw and first shot at from 3 to 7 yds. for “Carry Gun” drill is prudent, if not vital.
    Starting from different positions (seated, back to target, bent over, etc) is helpful.
    The old “Mozambique”, I guess “failure to stop” now is good, practiced at speed, 3-7 yds.
    While I totally agree 25 yd. hits at speed are desirable, that’s likely statistically irrelevant.
    There are any number of good Drills to be found online, or Utube.

Thanks.

Trying to focus on the major differences in performance between each gun. One has an optic.

Going to do a small number of important drills in one day with several guns.

I was thinking of excluding drills under 7 yds because although I do train those, I don't recall ever seeing much difference in performance results between guns. (I.e. Draw, have good grip and form, slap trigger as quickly as I can, get good hits) So I think for the purpose of these drills I can start from where sights begin to have high importance.

I'll consider the Mozambique drill heavily.
    Last edited by Ron3; 11-12-22 at 08:49.

Feedback Score
    I've never been much of a "failure drill" fan.

I prefer techniques that don't have a "stop" built in. When I learned of this drill a long time ago I practiced it with four shots. Two upper center torso, two to head. The idea being that if I really thought I got one or both of those body hits and nothing good for me has happened I should just target the head after that.

Later I dropped that and just starting doing a "zipper". Start upper center chest and then walk it up to the head in 5 or 6 shots. So that's what i train as far as that goes.

Perhaps I could alter my bill drill into the "zipper"? Or I may do the "2 chest 2 head" thing.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Sure.
    And if you’re effort is to quantify results per handgun, keep track of times/hits for each.
    It may be revealing.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Sure.
    And if you’re effort is to quantify results per handgun, keep track of times/hits for each.
    It may be revealing.
    Yup. That's the plan. Same range visit, record data for later review.

When I shoot drills w/a timer or measure groups I rarely write it down. I've done similar comparisons where I recorded the numbers using 2 guns. And kept some targets to remind me of a pistol / ammo / me combo's accuracy potential and POI. One of them was an LCR .357 with various ammo. There was essentially no difference in my performance between wadcutter loads and 158 gr +p loads. Mild .357 mag loads were only slightly slower time-wise but possibly worth it depending on the bullet, etc. Full-power .357 loads were much slower and my accuracy dropped. Not worth it. Duh, right?

But I wanted to do something more comprehensive. There are other factors related to performance such as carry comfort, capacity, etc., but it will be good to have real shooting data to factor into the decisions about which gun to carry when.

And it will be fun and good practice.
    Last edited by Ron3; 11-12-22 at 13:34.

Feedback Score
    heh... tell that to Jack Wilson.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Entryteam View Post
    heh... tell that to Jack Wilson.
    Statistically irrelevant (highly improbable)? Yes.

A skill set to have in your “bag of tricks”? Invaluable.

Best to own and not need it, than not have it and need it.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    FAST drill, Half and Half drill, and get in with a local group who shoots IDPA/Outlaw or some other type comp shooting. When there’s timers and scores you tend to really focus on the meat and potatoes of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'd like to do a series of drills, same day, to evaluate performance of myself & several pistols.

Something I can put down some numbers. I have a timer of course. Each has already proven reliable so that is not in question. I want numbers for time and accuracy.

I was thinking of this:

1. 6 rds 25 yds no time limit. Using the most accurate ammo I have or 3 types or brands of ammo. For precision and point of impact. X3.

2. Bill Drill drawn from concealed holster. Time & accuracy test. X3.

3. Draw & fire one shot from 7, 15, and 25 yds. For time & accuracy. Will use most accurate ammo in each gun from previous 25 yd test. X6.

Fire 10 rds from each gun before it is tested just to get used to it. I have hundreds of rounds (actually 1k plus) through each gun already.

Any other ideas or additional drills I should do?

The goal is partly to separate what I like to what actually performs best with me. And knowledge and fun. I suspect there won't be much difference except for the small guns not doing as well at 25 yds.