Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doughnut in my 223 cases

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Doughnut in my 223 cases

I was doing some reloading the last few days and I discovered something strange
    I took 50 rounds of lapua brass reloaded 8 times and ran them through the sizing die
    a Redding full length die with the expander ball removed then I use a Wilson expander mandrel to open up the neck
    just like I always do no problem, then I wanted to take a inside the neck measurement so I can work on my neck tension
    I used a 222 gauge pin and to my surprise it would not go all the way into the case you could actually see a ring in the inside of the case
    where the pin was hitting.
    Well i put the cases back through the mandrel and was able to iron out the ring so the pin could slide through this took a long time to iron out
    The I have another 50 rounds of 1 fired lapua brass and found the same thing
    I am wondering what is causing these rings to form and have I just been pushing bullets through the ring
    This cant be good for consent neck tensions any thoughts
    Thanks Williepete
    Last edited by Williepete; 11-13-22 at 05:10.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Normally this is cause by those annoying bushing dies, but I too get some donuts on brass that has never seen bushings too.

I think the crazy guys push out the donut, then neck turn it away/off from the outside. That's an ass ache I'm not willing to take.

8 firings out of 223 brass is pretty good. I may get 3 or 4 max (guessing).
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    markm thanks for the feed back
    I think I have it sorted out
    seems to be the mandrel
    I did a little test
    I took 15 rounds annealed and resized them
    first5 was like normal full length resize with out the expander ball redding die
    next sized the neck with the wilson expander mandrel doughnut their
    next 5 tried a forester fl sizing die with a expander ball no doughnut
    next 5 put the expander ball back in the redding die resized no doughnut
    I am just guessing but seems like the mandrel is pushing the neck down while expanding causing a doughnut
    normally no biggie but I cant have a doughnut cause the base of my bullet goes clean down into the shoulder
    if i used a different lighter bullet i could seat it ahead of the doughnut but all my loads are with this bullet
    so i guess i will just go back to using the expander ball and work on neck tension
    I am a old retired man and this is just what I do every day to keep me going
    reload shoot clean guns and do it all over again all for the goal of making my gun shoot 1/2 or less moa at 100 yards
    don't think it's that much to ask
    Thanks again for your input any and all input is appreciated Williepete
    Last edited by Williepete; 11-13-22 at 10:02.

Feedback Score

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    I looked that up dont think that would work for me
    I only got the doughnut after i resized
    L. E. Wilson's web site states: Standard reamers are sized for use on fired, un-sized cases. .22 caliber reamer is listed as .2225 / .226"
    This is a shot of my last outing any suggestions how I can tighter things up
    What I an shooting A 14.5 gas gun with a barrel tuner
    test target 2.jpg
    Last edited by Williepete; 11-13-22 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    Do you see the word "special" on the box?

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Forster makes a neck reamer to be used on 22 caliber cases after resizing #NR1220

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod.../neck-reamers/

You will need a Forster Case Trimmer in order to use the neck reamer though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    I looked that up dont think that would work for me
    I only got the doughnut after i resized
    L. E. Wilson's web site states: Standard reamers are sized for use on fired, un-sized cases. .22 caliber reamer is listed as .2225 / .226"
    This is a shot of my last outing any suggestions how I can tighter things up
    What I an shooting A 14.5 gas gun with a barrel tuner
    test target 2.jpg
    Hornadys 62 gr FMJBT is far from a match grade bullet. My best groups generally end up with BT Match bullets, Nosler Ballistic Tips, or Hornady V Max. It's too bad that MidSouth doesn't have any of their Hornady 62 gr OTM bullets available right now, 60 gr V Max might be a viable option if you want to remain around 62 gr. I'm not a bench rest shooter though.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    next 5 tried a forester fl sizing die with a expander ball no doughnut
    I'd bet that the expander ball is pulling the brass out (so to speak) rather than the expander die pushing the brass.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'd bet that the expander ball is pulling the brass out (so to speak) rather than the expander die pushing the brass.
    That would be my guess that would explain why I have never had to trim the brass in 8 loads so far
    I just could not wrap my head around that one
    I never used a mandrel until I started using lapua brass
    all of my other brass i had to trim but i did not have a mandrel back then

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast