Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally "Broke" an AR

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Dunk the bolt in Froglube and add a touch every other shoot. I never have to lube prior to shooting. That's nuts.
    I don't lube prior to shooting either, but I normally oil after cleaning. I also normally just wipe the bcg clean without solvent. Not in this case, obviously.

Andy

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I had an 18" barrel with a bigger gas port than yours that was still not overgassed. I don't have Clint expertise, but my experiences echo what he's saying.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Mixmaster/home build - Rainier 18" rifle gas CHF barrel (.89 gas port per Rainier),
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Seems a little light on the gas drive...
    I would agree with that, my 18" rifle gas barrel has a .0995" gas port.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mixmaster/home build - Rainier 18" rifle gas CHF barrel (.89 gas port per Rainier)
    You have a very soft shooting range gun. That is smaller than a 20” M16 barrel, .093” gas port.

The MK12 is .102” or .104”, and only used with 5.56 NATO pressure ammo.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    And now you know why small gas port guns are for shooting suppressed only and gamer $hit.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am ok with a range/gamer gun, I guess. It may not work in sub zero temps and it definitely needs to be lubed, but I have other ARs that lean towards reliability.

On the other hand, the rifle has been problem free with a wide variety of ammunition when it is lubed. I researched the barrel a bit before I purchased it and all the reports I read (including here) were positive.

I should also note that this barrel is from the CHF chrome/phosphate Mountain line that Rainier discontinued, not the current series.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-14-22 at 23:43.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'd be curious to the affect using a LMT E-carrier would have on opening up the operating envelope via increased carrier speed. I may be thinking of this incorrectly, but perhaps an E-carrier and stepping down a weight to A5H1 would combine well.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    I'd be curious to the affect using a LMT E-carrier would have on opening up the operating envelope via increased carrier speed. I may be thinking of this incorrectly, but perhaps an E-carrier and stepping down a weight to A5H1 would combine well.
    It would be difficult to determine since the rifle normally runs just fine.

I could send it off to have the gas port drilled larger and pin the gas block if I needed a 24/7 duty gun - the barrel is CHF chrome lined and the gun is built with quality parts.

For my intended uses of the rifle, remembering to lube it will suffice. The rifle is not built for gaming or fighting - it is built for shooting at the range and perhaps thinning a few prairie dog towns or plonking one of Bambi's parents.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 11-15-22 at 07:36.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It’s not just lube, temperature plays a big part as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It would be difficult to determine since the rifle normally runs just fine.
    Not really; just run it dry again. It's easy to swap buffer weights to try A5H1 or A5H0 configuration. Perhaps it doesn't degrade the feel but runs longer dry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast