Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: I know the AHA means well, but come on!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    604
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    I know the AHA means well, but come on!

    I noticed this while perusing the instructor update...

    Control of Life-Threatening Bleeding: Packing a Wound

    If the bleeding is life-threatening and is located on a body part that is not the arm or leg like the head, neck, chest, or abdomen, you should pack a wound and then apply pressure. Packing can also be done if they tourniquet does not stop the bleeding in the arms and legs.

    Packing the wound means taking a material like gauze or clean cloth and placing it tightly into the wound. Continue to apply direct pressure until the bleeding stops. You would then apply pressure and a compression dressing.


    Screenshot 2022-11-14 14.47.png

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DEEP SOUTH
    Posts
    1,475
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What is the issue? (I understand most head wounds can’t really be “packed”.)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    2,136
    Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    What is the issue? (I understand most head wounds can’t really be “packed”.)
    You shouldn't pack into the chest or abdomen. This can be a gray area with some junctional injuries (armpits and inguinal injuries).

    You can certainly pack neck wounds, just don't place a pressure dressing after lol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    6,705
    Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    AHA does NOT mean "current, contemporary practice" lol.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    604
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    AHA does NOT mean "current, contemporary practice" lol.
    Nope. It's a bit frustrating because my agency has used AHA for years to certify instructors.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Decatur, IN
    Posts
    1,944
    Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I noticed this while perusing the instructor update...

    Control of Life-Threatening Bleeding: Packing a Wound

    If the bleeding is life-threatening and is located on a body part that is not the arm or leg — like the head, neck, chest, or abdomen, — you should pack a wound and then apply pressure. Packing can also be done if they tourniquet does not stop the bleeding in the arms and legs.

    Packing the wound means taking a material like gauze or clean cloth and placing it tightly into the wound. Continue to apply direct pressure until the bleeding stops. You would then apply pressure and a compression dressing.


    Screenshot 2022-11-14 14.47.png
    You can pack and pack and pack and pack the abdomen and chest all you want. All you're gonna do is kill the patient. Chest seals, even vented ones (we carry Hyfin on our trucks and I've used them numerous times in the field on GSW's and Stabbings) work fantastic.

    Tourniquet the Extremities
    Pack the Joints
    Seal the Box

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    604
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    You can pack and pack and pack and pack the abdomen and chest all you want. All you're gonna do is kill the patient. Chest seals, even vented ones (we carry Hyfin on our trucks and I've used them numerous times in the field on GSW's and Stabbings) work fantastic.

    Tourniquet the Extremities
    Pack the Joints
    Seal the Box
    Yup. For the visual learners...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •