Thread: I know the AHA means well, but come on!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I know the AHA means well, but come on!

I noticed this while perusing the instructor update...

Control of Life-Threatening Bleeding: Packing a Wound

If the bleeding is life-threatening and is located on a body part that is not the arm or leg — like the head, neck, chest, or abdomen, — you should pack a wound and then apply pressure. Packing can also be done if they tourniquet does not stop the bleeding in the arms and legs.

Packing the wound means taking a material like gauze or clean cloth and placing it tightly into the wound. Continue to apply direct pressure until the bleeding stops. You would then apply pressure and a compression dressing.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 14.47.png

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What is the issue? (I understand most head wounds can’t really be “packed”.)

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAMBONE View Post
    What is the issue? (I understand most head wounds can’t really be “packed”.)
    You shouldn't pack into the chest or abdomen. This can be a gray area with some junctional injuries (armpits and inguinal injuries).

You can certainly pack neck wounds, just don't place a pressure dressing after lol

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    AHA does NOT mean "current, contemporary practice" lol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    AHA does NOT mean "current, contemporary practice" lol.
    Nope. It's a bit frustrating because my agency has used AHA for years to certify instructors.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I noticed this while perusing the instructor update...

Control of Life-Threatening Bleeding: Packing a Wound

If the bleeding is life-threatening and is located on a body part that is not the arm or leg — like the head, neck, chest, or abdomen, — you should pack a wound and then apply pressure. Packing can also be done if they tourniquet does not stop the bleeding in the arms and legs.

Packing the wound means taking a material like gauze or clean cloth and placing it tightly into the wound. Continue to apply direct pressure until the bleeding stops. You would then apply pressure and a compression dressing.

Screenshot 2022-11-14 14.47.png
    You can pack and pack and pack and pack the abdomen and chest all you want. All you're gonna do is kill the patient. Chest seals, even vented ones (we carry Hyfin on our trucks and I've used them numerous times in the field on GSW's and Stabbings) work fantastic.

Tourniquet the Extremities
    Pack the Joints
    Seal the Box

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    You can pack and pack and pack and pack the abdomen and chest all you want. All you're gonna do is kill the patient. Chest seals, even vented ones (we carry Hyfin on our trucks and I've used them numerous times in the field on GSW's and Stabbings) work fantastic.

Tourniquet the Extremities
    Pack the Joints
    Seal the Box
    Yup. For the visual learners...