Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The new Reptilia stock... anyone using or handled it? Thoughts and first impressions

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    So when the bolt is in battery the spring would partially reside within the upper receiver, and not be contained entirely within the receiver extension? That seems problematic.
    Not at all. It would be like the Colt SCW but less extreme.

https://armsunlimited.com/colt-scw-a...-assembly-kit/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Not at all. It would be like the Colt SCW but less extreme.

https://armsunlimited.com/colt-scw-a...-assembly-kit/
    3:47 "...because the spring is partially inside the upper receiver." I am surprised, and corrected. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm hoping that Nick or one of the Reptilia guys jumps in to share their thoughts. The Reptilia team is no doubt super busy, but they have gone radio silent.

I'm in the process of getting a care package together for a buddy, and part of that is a MRO, which will have a Reptilia mount.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Here are my thoughts on the stock so far:

-There is no single point sling socket, and the one sling socket on the right side of the stock is not rotation limited. It's almost 2023, I can't understand why "unlimited" sockets still exist. WTF Reptilia.

-The stock is stiff and even somewhat difficult to adjust. Comes with greased rails, but the plastic on plastic nature makes it sticky to slide. It's also easy to pinch your finger on the adjustment lever.

-Locking surface and the entirety of the adjustment area is all polymer. I'm really not sure what to make of its durability.

-The polymer feels and looks on the cheaper side. That could be an illusion, but it almost looks like kydex. There are shiny spots on the stock from where it looks to have been heated up to bend or mold.

-The LOP is very short, even all the way extended. This is actually really good for me, as I like my stocks mostly retracted, but for some this could be an issue.

EDIT: It's actually not as short as it felt to me at first. Comparing it to other stocks, it's a tiny bit longer than a Magpul K stock, and when extended, it's just about A2 length.

-Very lightweight.

Personally, I think that the stock would benefit from more R&D.
    Last edited by masakari; 12-24-22 at 15:57.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Here are my thoughts on the stock so far:

-There is no single point sling socket, and the one sling socket on the right side of the stock is not rotation limited. It's almost 2023, I can't understand why "unlimited" sockets still exist. WTF Reptilia.

-The stock is stiff and even somewhat difficult to adjust. Comes with greased rails, but the plastic on plastic nature makes it sticky to slide. It's also easy to pinch your finger on the adjustment lever.

-Locking surface and the entirety of the adjustment area is all polymer. I'm really not sure what to make of its durability.

-The polymer feels and looks on the cheaper side. That could be an illusion, but it almost looks like kydex. There are shiny spots on the stock from where it looks to have been heated up to bend or mold.

-The LOP is very short, even all the way extended. This is actually really good for me, as I like my stocks mostly retracted, but for some this could be an issue.

-Very lightweight.

Personally, I think that the stock would benefit from more R&D.
    Lack of locking sling socket is odd, maybe there was an extreme push for minimum weight, but that is just a guess from no where. If you had to cut every time gram, perhaps that could be a part of it? Still, that is an odd one.

A stiff locking lever could be a sample of one, it could be on all of them, it could be tight because it will break in with use, it could be anything. Makes me wish Reptilia still replied over here.

Polymer on polymer? I can't even play make believe structural engineer on this topic, I really have no idea. That will be something to watch out for.

The kydex comment caught me off guard. I'm not sure what to make of that. If there is a shine present only in some areas, it kinda makes me wonder if the mold was getting too warm, but that is a guess. Newer materials (I'm back to guessing about weight again), different mold method, mold guys in a hurry, mold guys lazy and leaving it in too long, and my guesses go on and on. Again, I appreciate the intel.

LOP and LW are two things that I think guys will love or hate. I can guarantee somebody will cry they didn't know it wasn't longer than a UBR, or something similar. I think its important when new items are launched that pictures get taken to show what it will look or feel like compared to a known item. For example, the A1 vs A2 stock is shown best by way of a simple picture. Show both, promote knowledge, and your customers win (so does that mfg).

Thanks again for the follow up! Anyone else with one yet?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    On the LOP topic, I would not be surprised if they considered the popularity of Law folders. With with a Law folder and fully retracted, the LOP is something like .5” less than A1.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Lack of locking sling socket is odd, maybe there was an extreme push for minimum weight, but that is just a guess from no where. If you had to cut every time gram, perhaps that could be a part of it? Still, that is an odd one.

A stiff locking lever could be a sample of one, it could be on all of them, it could be tight because it will break in with use, it could be anything. Makes me wish Reptilia still replied over here.

Polymer on polymer? I can't even play make believe structural engineer on this topic, I really have no idea. That will be something to watch out for.

The kydex comment caught me off guard. I'm not sure what to make of that. If there is a shine present only in some areas, it kinda makes me wonder if the mold was getting too warm, but that is a guess. Newer materials (I'm back to guessing about weight again), different mold method, mold guys in a hurry, mold guys lazy and leaving it in too long, and my guesses go on and on. Again, I appreciate the intel.

LOP and LW are two things that I think guys will love or hate. I can guarantee somebody will cry they didn't know it wasn't longer than a UBR, or something similar. I think its important when new items are launched that pictures get taken to show what it will look or feel like compared to a known item. For example, the A1 vs A2 stock is shown best by way of a simple picture. Show both, promote knowledge, and your customers win (so does that mfg).

Thanks again for the follow up! Anyone else with one yet?
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean regarding the anti-rotational QD socket. It doesn't save anyway, it just doesn't have any way of preventing the swivel from rotating.

Besides that, I'm trying to post some pictures but my normal image hosting site seems to be down. Stand by.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    On the LOP topic, I would not be surprised if they considered the popularity of Law folders. With with a Law folder and fully retracted, the LOP is something like .5” less than A1.
    Yeah, I was actually thinking that this would be pretty nice with a folder.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

Can't really tell in the picture, but you really can in person. The spots that look like glare or shininess in the picture, are there in reality but much more distinct, and they look like burned kydex.

Also, see my edit above about the length. It's actually longer than I thought it was.
    Last edited by masakari; 12-24-22 at 15:57.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Anyone have or use one?

Masakari- How are you liking yours as you spend more time with it?
    Stick

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast