Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillons AMMOBRASS LLC Swage Setter

Feedback Score

Dillons AMMOBRASS LLC Swage Setter

Any body ever use these? is it worth buying and is it better than Dillons instructions for setting up there Supper swage 600 for getting rid of military primer crimps?Have a Dillon super swage 600, but have not needed to use it yet

Feedback Score
    When setting-up the Dillon Super Swage, you should be examining the crimp; which is on the outside of the case. You also may need to make adjustments for each different brand/lot of brass that you are removing the crimp from.

Reloading For The AR-15: Swaging Primer Pocket Crimps

In order to reload brass cases that have crimped primer pockets, the crimp must first be removed before a new primer can be seated. There are two basic methods used to achieve this; reaming or swaging.

With reaming, you’re removing material from the case head. With swaging, you’re simply pressing material back into its original position. Of the two methods, my personal preference is for swaging with the Dillon Super Swage 600. The Dillon Super Swage returns the primer pocket more closely to its original condition than any of the other stand-alone tools that I’ve seen used to remove the primer pocket crimp.

The pic below, with a cut-out 223 Remington case in the Super Swage, shows the swaging rod and the case positioning rod to give you an idea of just how the Super Swage works.

The first pic below shows the case head of a factory-loaded round that has a crimped primer.

Now, a deprimed case, using a Dillon Super Swage.

The case from the above pic that has had the primer pocket swaged with the Super Swage . . .

And a pic with the same case reprimed . . .

This last pic shows the factory-loaded round next to the reprimed case for easy comparison.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    When setting-up the Dillon Super Swage, you should be examining the crimp; which is on the outside of the case. You also may need to make adjustments for each different brand/lot of brass that you are removing the crimp from.
    Inconsistency between different brass was the deal breaker for me with that thing. I unloaded the super swager very quickly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Inconsistency between different brass was the deal breaker for me with that thing. I unloaded the super swager very quickly.
    Same here, received one in the deal when I picked up my 550. Tried it, messed with it, got frustrated with it, hated it, Sold it, LOL

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Some guys swear by that thing. I guess you can develop a feel for it, but a lot of my brass is mixed so the Hornady cutter was better for me. I can do that thing in my sleep just as fast.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This is the best mod for the super swage.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uMQd2UBrXos

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The Dillon 1050 has a fantastic swager in it.

Recently I came across a lightly used Lee APP with the swager kit. So far I have only tried one brand of brass through it but it worked like a champ.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For 556 cases maybe.

Mine requires a bit of finesse to ensure the pocket is correctly aligned with the Swage. Last thing I want is to fight tension when trying to ensure proper alignment on larger cases like 762.

You can quickly destroy brass if it isn’t aligned properly.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    For 556 cases maybe.

Mine requires a bit of finesse to ensure the pocket is correctly aligned with the Swage. Last thing I want is to fight tension when trying to ensure proper alignment on larger cases like 762.

You can quickly destroy brass if it isn’t aligned properly.
    This is what I love about the Hornady cutters. Self alignment just to get it started, and it bottoms out so yo can't over cut. As long as you can hold the case somewhat straight, you're good.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Some guys swear by that thing. I guess you can develop a feel for it, but a lot of my brass is mixed so the Hornady cutter was better for me. I can do that thing in my sleep just as fast.
    I processed so much 5.56 / staked .223 Rem brass over 33 years I actually fractured the Super Swage body. Dillon replaced it for free on the "No BS Warranty."

I've tried two or three other set-ups and return to the Dillon. It ain't perfect, but good enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast