Thread: What is the predominant assault rifle optic where it gets cold and stays that way ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What is the predominant assault rifle optic where it gets cold and stays that way ?

Without going through a long list of every arctic circle or northern climate country's weapon's
    loadout , one by one I would guess Aimpoint, though Germany just chose the Elcan .

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What is the predominant assault rifle optic where it gets cold and stays that way ?

Based on my experience deer hunting this year, you need to choose wisely. It got real cold real quick and snowed a ton.

The LPVO on one of my, AR platform, deer rifles fogged up easily in 20 degree weather from my breath, cleared quickly, and my body heat, augmented by hand warmers in my pockets, that did not clear so quickly. (I was cradling the rifle to stay ready.)

In both instances the fog was bad enough that I would have missed the opportunity to take a shot had one presented itself, which thankfully it didn’t.

I could probably get by with irons but prefer a scope to hunt deer. Something further away from your face would be better to avoid the hot breath issue.

It weren’t the scopes fault so the scope shall remain nameless.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-17-22 at 17:46.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I found this full of useful info, I immediately ordered some Cat Crap and started looking for the lens caps I normally don't use.

“The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Rifle cold weather 101:

- Keep your gun and optic cold
    - Keep cleaning cloths handy
    - Keep your lenses covered if / when you can
    - Bring a sling

I may actually try that cat crap product on my cold weather hunting rifles. Other than that nothing earth shattering in the video.

I’m not walking around in deep snow with all the crap he had on the rifle in that video if I don’t have to…….
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-18-22 at 07:59.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Cat Crap is pretty legit. I put it on my pistol optics to prevent fogging as well. It's worked nicely.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCrum87hc View Post
    Cat Crap is pretty legit. I put it on my pistol optics to prevent fogging as well. It's worked nicely.
    Is it any different than the stuff used by divers for their masks?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    My experiences in Alaska are to avoid extreme temperature swings as much as possible. Going in and out of heated vehicles, structures, etc. will fog up optics/eye pro.

Once I was in the cold and stayed that way, I can't recall ever having my ACOG or MGO fog up. Just try to avoid extreme temp swings and you'll be okay.

*If I had to move indoors (clearing a structure), I used the vis laser on my PEQ for targeting.
    Last edited by GTF425; 11-19-22 at 16:22.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Is it any different than the stuff used by divers for their masks?
    It’s a lot thicker in texture stick. A tan paste you smear on and buff off.

All of the products I have used on my diving masks, except my spit, are clear liquids.

I picked some up and gave it the breath test in a heated room. Will try it again next year during deer season.