Thread: Moding Redding FL sizing die for Lapua brass

Feedback Score

Moding Redding FL sizing die for Lapua brass

Lately I have been focused on achieving consent shoulder bump and neck tension
    while making my brass last as long as possible.
    What I am going to try is opening up the neck portion of my die 4.75k
    when I do this i should get a consistent neck tension of 2k and not have to use the expander ball or
    the expander mandrel just like with a bushing die but without the doughnut and it will size the entire neck
    My question is has anyone tried this and if so what were your results
    thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I knew a guy that modded his sizing die in this manner because he subscribed to the "nothing touches the inside of my neck" idea. I don't know if it's a good plan or not, but whatever...

For my process, the LEE Collet neck sizing die accomplishes this without having an initial sizing die that's tuned to specific brass.

Personally, I'd rather buy more brass and spread my wear over a larger pool of casings. But what you're suggesting can surely be done. I just makes me nervous to mod a die and have it not work.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    After talking to a local gun smith he said he could do it but the cost is up their
    I think your and BobinNc idea is the best
    I can get a redding fl body die and a lee collet die and a lee factory crimp die and
    250 rounds of 55gn. bullets and 1000 cleaning patches cheaper than it would cost to have the gun smith
    mod my die I think that is the way for me to go thanks for the input

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I like the Collet die best out of all the methods I've tried. The only downside is it had moving parts that eventually wear out over the years. But they're cheap dies to replace.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    After talking to a local gun smith he said he could do it but the cost is up their
    I think your and BobinNc idea is the best
    I can get a redding fl body die and a lee collet die and a lee factory crimp die and
    250 rounds of 55gn. bullets and 1000 cleaning patches cheaper than it would cost to have the gun smith
    mod my die I think that is the way for me to go thanks for the input
    Wonder if he is just planning to send it off to a machine shop for the work and then charge you extra for being a middle man in the deal.

I would check some other places before thinking it 'really' costs that much...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Wonder if he is just planning to send it off to a machine shop for the work and then charge you extra for being a middle man in the deal.

I would check some other places before thinking it 'really' costs that much...
    This guy has his own machine shop but any machine work has a min charge of $125.00
    He would have to pin gauge the die neck and take small cuts and gauge again until he got close to the
    size i wanted and finish rean it to the final specks
    If i had a good lathe and cutters and reamers I would give it a shot myself
    but I was able to buy all of the stuff I needed in the list above for $115.00
    so for now I am going to go that route and give it a try but it would be nice to have a custom die that
    did what I wanted thanks for the input.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    This guy has his own machine shop but any machine work has a min charge of $125.00
    The guy that owns / runs the machine shop next door / in the same building as me could not believe it when I told him that Compass Lake did my barrel threading for only $40.00 per barrel. And the chambers for 'only'...

He has to charge a 'set up fee' because that is not something he has done so many times that he can do it in his sleep.

Compass Lake is set up to do that sort of work and they have done it so many times they can do it with their eyes closed.

Shawn is a good guy, has good tools and does good work but... Not anywhere near being even a novice at barrel threading. Certainly not an expert on threading any sort of particular barrels. Example: a place set up to do and that constantly does say 92f series or 'pistol' barrels may not be the best place to send an AR barrel... They may be able to do it but may need to charge more because it is not something they routinely do.