Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrosive primers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Corrosive primers

How do the old corrosive primers, FA no 70 for 30 caliber rifle for example, compare with modern non corrosive alternatives? Energy, brisance, etc???

I have read that the corrosive military primers DO have a longer shelf life.

I am exploring the idea of shooting some recently acquired primers (as stated above) through a 1903a3 for scientific purposes.

Karl

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Are you sure they are corrosive? Around 52 or so they went NC.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The box is dated 1931.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    The box is dated 1931.
    Damn! I don't know a thing about them, but that's pretty interesting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How do the old corrosive primers, FA no 70 for 30 caliber rifle for example, compare with modern non corrosive alternatives? Energy, brisance, etc???

I have read that the corrosive military primers DO have a longer shelf life.

I am exploring the idea of shooting some recently acquired primers (as stated above) through a 1903a3 for scientific purposes.

Karl
    I don't know if this gets to the level of detail you are wanting, but(from my reading of it at least) it seems the non-corrosive was simply tweaked over a long period to match the stability, reliability, and longevity of the chlorate primers.

If you ever see these old NRA guides they are worth picking up.

Last edited by jsbhike; 11-21-22 at 06:57.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Double post
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 04-20-23 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Went out yesterday with the Oehler 35p and shot the following out of my 1943 O3/A3:

1. RP case, FA 70 primer, 49 gr IMR 4064, Hornady 150 FMJ to 3.250 OAL.

2. RP case, WLR primer, 49 gr IMR 4064, 150gr Hornady FMJ to 3.250 OAL.

5 shots each ( I ran out of prepped RP cases).

FA 70:

Hi = 2736
    Lo = 2680
    ES = 57
    MEAN = 2716
    SD = 22

WLR:

Hi =2714
    Lo = 2689
    ES = 25
    MEAN = 2699
    SD = 12

Group size at 100 yards

FA 70:

2.75" vertical stringing

WLR:

2.625" with vertical stringing.

Pressure observations:

Easy bolt lift and extraction with both loads. FA 70 Primer is slightly flatter in appearance compared to WLR.

General observations:
    1. This is the second outing with the corrosive primed reloads. I chose the 03/A3 for ease of cleaning over the M1. Hot water, dishsoap on a bronze bore brush, and boiling water through the bore, once dry an oiled patch to finish. No rust found. The fired cases were also rinsed in hot water. Would I shoot more of the FA70? Yes if they were free. The numbers don't lie, the modern chemistry of today's primers produce as good results without the extra rust concern. I really wanted to shoot the FA70 through my M1. But just too much work to clean afterwards.

Edited to add:
    Great testimony to well stored reloading components being viable. Don't be afraid to use that "Old" stuff.
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 04-20-23 at 08:54.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    To speed up cleaning of the corrosive primers, run a couple dry patches through first. Then clean like normal. The dry patches will take out the majority of the salts.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    As a sidenote, a lot of ordinance dept types in various nations used to have a strong aversion to gas ports. In the time period between the invention of smokeless powder, and the dawn of the AK47, there are some really wonky designs because of that. The Germans seemed especially weird about it, but we did it, too. The 03 vs M1 mention reminded me of that, with its strange gas system.
    Last edited by 1168; 04-21-23 at 13:09.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    General observations:
    1. This is the second outing with the corrosive primed reloads. I chose the 03/A3 for ease of cleaning over the M1. Hot water, dishsoap on a bronze bore brush, and boiling water through the bore, once dry an oiled patch to finish. No rust found. The fired cases were also rinsed in hot water. Would I shoot more of the FA70? Yes if they were free. The numbers don't lie, the modern chemistry of today's primers produce as good results without the extra rust concern. I really wanted to shoot the FA70 through my M1. But just too much work to clean afterwards.

Edited to add:
    Great testimony to well stored reloading components being viable. Don't be afraid to use that "Old" stuff.
    Pretty much, as someone who's shot 10's of thousands of rounds of corrosive 7n6 before they banned it through AR-15s Ive never has a problem with rust while just using a pot of hot water, an air compressor to dry followed by an oil patch.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast