Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimp on the cannelure vs Minimum OAL Overall Length

Feedback Score

Crimp on the cannelure vs Minimum OAL Overall Length

I'm getting back into reloading after about a 20 year break. I'm now retire and have more time. Previously mainly used Lee Loader for 6.5 X 55 Swede and 303 British but also full length resized for 270.

My question: How critical is the Minimum Overall Length (OAL). According to my load data (Modern Reloading 2021 edition) I'm out of spec but I'm holding the ten cartridges without firing them until I get clarity. I have completed the rounds except for crimping the bullets with the lee Factory Crimp Die.

I seated the 62gr FMJ boat tail bullets at 2.22 so the case neck would be right at the cannelure ready to crimp. After checked loading data specs I find the Minimum OAL is 2.26 with my load (Hornady 62 grain FMJ Boat Tail bullet, 22.5 grains of RAM TAC, CCI 41 small rifle primer, various once fired brass that I trimmed and chamfered).

I'm shooting out of autoloaders not bolt guns. One PSA M4 1/7 twist 5.56 Nato 16 inch Barrel. One BCA 223 Wylde 1/8 twist 16 inch barrel.

If I need to I pull the bullets, and redo the rounds to spec Minimum OAL 2.26 that's OK with me.

Please let me know your thoughts on this

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Greetings we are shooting just about the same set up
    I use Hornaday 62 gn.fmj w/c bullets cci 41 primers lapua brass and vv 135 powder my col is 2.2180
    I am not seeing any thing about min col i do see max col 2.250 for 5.56 and 2,260 for 223 chambers
    for your 62 gn. bullet in a 5.56 chamber they call for a 2.229 col
    I trim my brass to1.750 seat the bullet on the cannelure and crimp and shoot
    FWIW a new factory round with a 62 gr. green tip bullet col is 2.248 you have to decide for your self
    for your own safety hope this helps
    Last edited by Williepete; 11-19-22 at 17:16.

Feedback Score
    Williepete

Thank you for replying to my post

I see you are shooting a very close load to mine with the same 2.22 (in your case 2.218) COL, 62 gr FMJ and I also trim my brass to 1.75.

The only difference is your powder VihtaVuori VV-N135 powder which is in the same burn rate ball park as my RAM TAC powder.

Two Questions

1) How many grains of VV-H135 do you use? I was going to compare it on the VihtaVuori website to see where it fell between min and max grains for the 62 grain bullet. The 22.5 grains of RAM TAC is the starting load so I suspect I have have a slight measure of safety in my loads.

2) What source did you see the 62 grain bullet for 2.229 COL? Was it the VihtaVuori website or somewhere else?

Again, thanks for replying...

Feedback Score
    What source did you see the 62 grain bullet for 2.229 COL? Was it the VihtaVuori website or somewhere elses?
    I pulled this from the Hornaday book.

How many grains of VV-H135 do you use?
    I did a 10 round load test and I found 2 sweet spots I went with the low one which is 23.2 gn it yielded 2700 fps
    I am running a 14.5 barrel with a tunner brake pin and welded.
    feel free to pick my brain williepete

Feedback Score
    Williepete

Thanks for your reply to the questions

You helped me a lot with you experience and info.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    With rifle cartridges, the cannelures can be completely ignored. Choose your desired cartridge overall length, and load the bullets to match.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    OAL for 223 can be well under the usual/normal 2.250". I've had plenty of factory stuff way below 2.25 that ran fine. Assuming the cannalure is within reason, I set my die to match the cannalure.

This also depends on your crimp. If you use a Factory crimp or no crimp, the cannalure doesn't matter.

I remember Winchester's old 55 gr FMJs had cannalures all over the place within the same bag of bullets. So you couldn't even get a similar seating without sorting or something insane.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    FMJTODAY I been retired now for 5 years and reloading and working on guns and shooting is about all I do
    great fun for a old man and passes a lot of time
    Here is a link for some thing you might enjoy
    It is a free reloading software verry cool a lot like quickload but free surprisingly accurate
    https://grtools.de/doku.php

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the additional replies...I appreciate it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    With rifle cartridges, the cannelures can be completely ignored. Choose your desired cartridge overall length, and load the bullets to match.
    I wished more understood that.

Had more than one conversation that said the best way was to load to cannulers and then crimp....Then I asked about trim length and was greeted with unknowing stares.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast