Thread: Barrel tuner for M4

Feedback Score

Barrel tuner for M4

Goodmorning does any one here use a barrel tuner on their M4
    If so what do you think about it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I only remember seeing those for the Mini 14. I/we have never found any reason to improve on an AR barrel's performance outside of loading good ammo.

Who makes this device?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I only remember seeing those for the Mini 14. I/we have never found any reason to improve on an AR barrel's performance outside of loading good ammo.

Who makes this device?
    It's F class gear.
    Adjustable weight near the muzzle to control barrel whip.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I will be surprised if one member replies saying that they use one. This forum is geared towards fighting ARs, not precision ARs.

I have no doubt that if it’s well designed that it’s be able to alter the barrel harmonics enough to make a usable difference.

Feedback Score
    I try to make the best ammo that I can but my draw back is the bullets
    I only use 55 gn. and 62 gn, with a cl I seat to the cl and shoot so I really don't have the option to seat closer to the lands
    to adjust for barrel harmonics
    I got turned on to this when I went to a service rifle match at camp perry in Ohio every one was using them
    They have a guy that makes them special for the ar this is the one I run
    they work real well https://www.harrellsprecision.com/pr...l-tuner-brakes

Feedback Score
    What wrong with having a precision fighting ar
    If that's the case then why reload good match grade ammo just buy factory ammo.
    this forum has a thread for precision gas guns I would think that the ar would qualify
    as a gas gun.
    Last edited by Williepete; 11-20-22 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I will be surprised if one member replies saying that they use one. This forum is geared towards fighting ARs, not precision ARs.

I have no doubt that if it’s well designed that it’s be able to alter the barrel harmonics enough to make a usable difference.

Until anything else changes and he has to fiddle with it again...

Hard pass for me on junk like that and yes, I have more than a few 'precision' AR type rifles.

OP would be better served spending the money on a good quality barrel if precision is what he is looking for. A rack grade M4 barrel is only going to do so much and all the snake oil in the world is not going to make much difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    What wrong with having a precision fighting ar
    If that's the case then why reload good match grade ammo just buy factory ammo.
    this forum has a thread for precision gas guns I would think that the ar would qualify
    as a gas gun.

Any of those are going to do better (accuracy wise) than a rack grade M4 barrel regardless of the doohickey you stick on the end of it.

I've got a few Colt M4 barrels and a few in the same profile from other makers (some chrome lined and some not) and even the ones I consider to be the best (accuracy wise) in that group with a given hand load (same load used in all) - You notice differences when you compare to other barrels.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Williepete View Post
    I try to make the best ammo that I can but my draw back is the bullets
    I only use 55 gn. and 62 gn, with a cl I seat to the cl and shoot so I really don't have the option to seat closer to the lands
    to adjust for barrel harmonics
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with precision ARs, and I've got a few of them. The Precision Rifle - Semi Auto section isn't very popular here, with the time between posts as strong evidence.

Is the cl you mention in the quoted post the bullet's cannelure? With the taper or factory crimp used in bottleneck rifle cartridges, the cannelure can be completely ignored. Is it your belief that adjusting the bullet seating depth is the only (or best) method to alter the bullet time and barrel harmonics?

I personally don't consider cartridges loaded using non-match bullets to be precision ammo. There are several bullet options that fly really well, while only costing a bit more than shitty FMJs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with precision ARs, and I've got a few of them. The Precision Rifle - Semi Auto section isn't very popular here, with the time between posts as strong evidence.

Is the cl you mention in the quoted post the bullet's cannelure? With the taper or factory crimp used in bottleneck rifle cartridges, the cannelure can be completely ignored. Is it your belief that adjusting the bullet seating depth is the only (or best) method to alter the bullet time and barrel harmonics?

I personally don't consider cartridges loaded using non-match bullets to be precision ammo. There are several bullet options that fly really well, while only costing a bit more than shitty FMJs.
    I don't have a good track record with gizmos and such. And a precision rifle is a system, a rack grade M4 is a tool.
    Last edited by anachronism; 11-22-22 at 21:40. Reason: My question on components was answered in another post
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)