Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Med kit for family

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Med kit for family

My wife and I are about to have our 3rd and last child. ThT means there are 3 adults (mother in law) and 3 kids.
    I’m looking to put together a kit for the 6 of us God forbid there was ever a bad situation and any or a few of us ever got hurt. Trips together, highway accidents or collapse of society yada yada

I was thinking of grabbing 3 Activity Group RMT ratchet TQ and 3 for kids. After that chest seals and packing gauze and gloves etc.

I’m curious what components and how much of each component would be a good amount to have us covered in this kit and what’s a good bag to carry it In without getting into silly pricing.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    This is far from comprehensive, but off of the top of my head:

BAG:
    Tactical Tailor First Responder Bag

HEMCON:
    CAT TQs (4)
    ACE wraps (2 x 2", 3 x 3")

Combat Gauze (4) *if someone is on a prescribed blood thinner or has a clotting disorder, Chito Gauze should be considered
    4"x4" Gauze (sold as loose pack; you want enough to keep around for minor wound dressing)
    Rolled gauze ("kerlex" or "kling"; 4 rolls)

MISC. TRAUMA
    SAM splints (2 x 36", rolled)
    Triangle bandages (2)
    Rigid eye shield (2)
    Assorted Band Aids

MISC. MEDICAL
    OTC meds (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Benadryl, Claritin, Imodium, Pepto)
    LiquidIV (or similar electrolyte powder)
    30-day supply of any necessary Rx'd meds

SUPPLIES
    Headlamp with spare batteries
    Emergency blankets (2)

Shears (no need to go crazy...they all work fine)
    Grease pen (never dry out, write on anything...including bloody dressings and skin)
    Cloth tape (2" 3M Durapore is the best)
    Alcohol prep wipes
    Tweezers
    Moleskin
    Sunscreen
    Bug spray
    Petroleum-soaked cotton balls
    Bic lighter
    Nitrile gloves (add in a couple of pairs that are one size larger than normal)

Chest seals can be easily improvised. No need for exotic stuff like NPAs, decompression needles, pocket BVMs, etc. If you have the training to know how to use them, throw them in if you feel the need.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some important basic stuff, but that's a solid "do it all" type of bag you could slap together and store easily enough. You can make some waterproof/tearproof bags to store stuff in by wrapping gallon ziploc bags with duct tape (Ranger purse).

I'm a really big fan of the CAT and SOFT-TW tourniquets. I've used them quite a lot and have used a CAT on a kindergarten age child (boating accident), so anecdotally, the concerns regarding TQ application on children and not fitting kind of goes out the window by grade school. A SOFT-TW will work if you're planning for the wee one.

*EDIT: The stuff in bold above is to highlight what I feel you should get first if you're putting a kit together around a budget.
    Last edited by GTF425; 11-21-22 at 13:44.

Feedback Score
    Unaware of your background medical knowledge, but I'd recommend some tac med/basic EMT/red cross basic first aid/ youtube videos :-) training on how to use basic items properly.
    Unless you are already in the health professions and getting additional suggestions.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Experience is very little. Couple shooting classes that thought a few things and learning online.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Remember the probability of use. Yeah, have 'some' trauma stuff, but most things are boo-boo kits things (band aids, ice packs, ace wraps) or medical (tylenol, benadryl, etc.).

I like Adventure Medical Kits, supplemented with a couple TQs and a couple hemostatic gauze.

Some things you will not be able to use on kids, especially small kids (NPA airways, some TQs, etc.). Peds needs peds-specific stuff for the most part.

Edited to add, it's academic unless you have some training. Basic first aid, CPR, and stop the bleed. That's what you need.

GTF425's kit is pretty good.
    Last edited by chuckman; 11-22-22 at 09:25.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Anyone know what tq are good for infants?

Was thinking of these for my 4 and 7 year olds. Too big for infant iD suspect

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Anyone know what tq are good for infants?

Was thinking of these for my 4 and 7 year olds. Too big for infant iD suspect
    ACE wrap will do it. Not kidding.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Is the SWAT T a good kid wrap choice too?

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Is the SWAT T a good kid wrap choice too?
    Yes. With how small their extremities are, very narrow blood vessels, and lower normal blood pressure, you can effectively tourniquet an infant extremity with a well applied compression bandage. It's similar to a dog extremity in that regard.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Thank you so much! I’ll be ordering stuff up this weekend.

I tried hosting a Dark Angel class a few years ago in my area. Would’ve been a great intro but they cancelled due to super low sign ups. I guess the cost was too high or interest too low.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast