Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Med kit for family

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Thank you so much! I’ll be ordering stuff up this weekend.

I tried hosting a Dark Angel class a few years ago in my area. Would’ve been a great intro but they cancelled due to super low sign ups. I guess the cost was too high or interest too low.
    Dark Angel is good, but expensive. A lot of equally good companies out there that are less expensive.

I agree re: SWATT and/or ace.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Anyone have any doubts or issue with the activity group ratcheting RMT?

From what I understand they’re gtg. I think they’re accepted by the mil but not 100% positive. I own a few.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Anyone have any doubts or issue with the activity group ratcheting RMT?

From what I understand they’re gtg. I think they’re accepted by the mil but not 100% positive. I own a few.
    The RMT is CoTCCC-approved.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I thought so. Thank you
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    ... Combat Gauze (4) *if someone is on a prescribed blood thinner or has a clotting disorder, Chito Gauze should be considered
    I am on a prescribed blood thinner, along with low dose aspirin, taken every day. What is the reason for the above? Will Combat Gauze not work, or will it cause unintended serious consequences? How does Chito Gauze differ?

Combat Gauze may be the goto brand for soldiers gearing up for combat operations, but I suspect not too many soldiers are on blood thinners. Considering the overall health of the civilian population, or just your family alone, and the fact that many friends or extended family may be on blood thinners and you don't know about it (most of my relatives and the guys I train with don't know I am on a blood thinner), would the Chito Gauze be a better choice for a typical stateside IFAK or family kit?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Combat Gauze works by activating a specific clotting factor in the blood (if you're curious; Factor 12). While not specifically inhibited by common blood thinners, Combat Gauze essentially amplifies the patient's ability to clot. If someone is prescribed anti-coagulants, there are concerns regarding how effectively the gauze works based on prolonged thrombin formation with drugs such as Coumadin (warfarin) and Eliquis (apixaban).

ChitoGauze (and Celox) have a different hemostatic agent. They use a shellfish extract known as chitosan. Think of this as binding to red blood cells and promoting the formation of a clot on the dressing itself; it doesn't rely on a patient's intrinsic clotting ability as it forms clots through a process totally different than our normal clotting cascade.

Both Combat Gauze and ChitoGauze are recommended by CoTCCC and have substantial evidence supporting their use. Anecdotally, I'm fortunate to have access to both and have used both with positive expected results.

I'm phone posting from work, so I don't have links to post. If you'd like to read more, look into the mechanism of action of kaolin (Combat Gauze hemostatic) and search "hemostatic gauze blood thinners" on Google to see what comes up.

Feedback Score
    Something I've done is to segregate a Trauma kit from a Booboo and Medical Kit. The two kits are different colors and are labeled appropriately. Booboo/Medical carries bandaids, OTC meds in the appropriate doses for adults and kids, tools like magnifying glass, tweezers, etc.

OTC meds include:
    tylenol,
    ibuprofen,
    rehydration packets,
    antihistamines,
    antidiarrheal,
    an OTC epinephrine inhaler,
    UTI meds,
    eye drops,
    cough drops,
    and likely others.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    BAG:
    Tactical Tailor First Responder Bag
    Any thoughts on a simple booboo/medical bag (separate from above)? Been searching around for something simple, easy and budget friendly.

At this point thinking HPG Tool Roll (more organization) or GP Medium Pocket (less organization) both under $50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrediver View Post
    Something I've done is to segregate a Trauma kit from a Booboo and Medical Kit. The two kits are different colors and are labeled appropriately. Booboo/Medical carries bandaids, OTC meds in the appropriate doses for adults and kids, tools like magnifying glass, tweezers, etc.

OTC meds include:
    tylenol,
    ibuprofen,
    rehydration packets,
    antihistamines,
    antidiarrheal,
    an OTC epinephrine inhaler,
    UTI meds,
    eye drops,
    cough drops,
    and likely others.
    Looks good, but you might want to consider adding "new skin" and a burn cream to your boo boo kit.

I wear a dark angel ifak and have a harbor freight tool bag on the table as a boo boo kit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Any thoughts on a simple booboo/medical bag (separate from above)? Been searching around for something simple, easy and budget friendly.

At this point thinking HPG Tool Roll (more organization) or GP Medium Pocket (less organization) both under $50.
    Look at the tool bags at harbor freight, that is what I've used for about 5 years as a boo boo kit.

Here is a cheap one, the have others. A silver sharpie will mark this one anyway you want it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...ets-61469.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast