Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lab Radar Killer?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wow that's bad ammo.

Based on my recent torture, I'd bet a big part of those spreads is related to the shitty primers. I mean the bullets suck too, but ball powder meters good enough that the number should be tighter than that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lab Radar Killer?

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Wow that's bad ammo.

Based on my recent torture, I'd bet a big part of those spreads is related to the shitty primers. I mean the bullets suck too, but ball powder meters good enough that the number should be tighter than that.
    Yeah I don’t normally shoot the stuff because it is so bad. It normally sits in an ammo can for a SHTF scenario.

This is the group it shot at 100 with only a 4x, which isn’t nearly enough for my old eyes to shoot good groups at 100. Surprisingly, it is still Minute of dead Bad guy.

Some of those are very likely me as I was more focused on the Chronograph than the shooting for this string in particular.

I have a question in to the owner of the product on how to correctly interpret the confidence intervals.

My 762 tests were much better using TAC at varying loads in .3gr increments. My best SD and ES for those groups was 3.3 and 8.0 respectively. I had another close one at 3.7 / 8.0 but these were only 3 shot test strings.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-23-22 at 15:12.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've always thought it would be ok if the last rounds in a string shot faster due to heat build up, but I've never once seen that in actual testing. From shot 2 to 6 and then back down to 10 for example... just all over the place.

I'd love to buy some XM193 and replace one component at a time to see what the weakness is. I did that with Herter's years ago and everything about the ammo was good but the bullets.

I may buy 2 or 3 boxes next time I get to Sportsmans Warehouse and at a minimum, do a primer changeout and test.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've always thought it would be ok if the last rounds in a string shot faster due to heat build up, but I've never once seen that in actual testing. From shot 2 to 6 and then back down to 10 for example... just all over the place.

I'd love to buy some XM193 and replace one component at a time to see what the weakness is. I did that with Herter's years ago and everything about the ammo was good but the bullets.

I may buy 2 or 3 boxes next time I get to Sportsmans Warehouse and at a minimum, do a primer changeout and test.
    I think you are correct about the primers, but if you do it post back here with your results please.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I just got home with a Box of the XM American Eagle "military grade" stuff. But the first round I pulled down only had 25.4 gr of powder. Typically, in the past, XM193 would have somewhere around 27 grains of powder.

The Brass is LC .223, and not the normal 5.56 headstamp. So I'm reluctant to put any effort into a test with what does not appear to be an M193 clone.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lab Radar Killer?

I just got home with a Box of the XM American Eagle "military grade" stuff. But the first round I pulled down only had 25.4 gr of powder. Typically, in the past, XM193 would have somewhere around 27 grains of powder.

The Brass is LC .223, and not the normal 5.56 headstamp. So I'm reluctant to put any effort into a test with what does not appear to be an M193 clone.
    Yeah probably not worth the effort.

I just pulled one down from the same lot. 27.8 gr of what looks like CFE223 or equivalent ball.

Check out the primer.

Last edited by HKGuns; 11-23-22 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've reloaded some of this LC .223 brass, and it needed almost no trimming. Unlike some hot XM193 where the brass is stretched out significantly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12