Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab Radar Killer?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lab Radar Killer?

I have an optical Chronograph that I’ve owned for quite some time.

It is large and difficult to set up unless I am shooting alone, which I typically am not when at the private range I frequent. If the sun isn’t just right I’ll get errors etc…….

So………I WAS waiting for lab radar to come back in stock, when I stumbled upon the Andi-scan unit pictured below. It was out of stock as well, but signed up for stock notification and a month or so later got the call.

I haven’t had it to the range yet, so can’t speak to operation, however, it is supposed to work well and the unit is so tiny it should get a significant amount of range time.

It costs more than the Lab Radar but comes with its own case as well as numerous mounting options, including pic rail, 30mm and 34mm scope mounts. It also comes with an internal battery and uSD card installed.

I’ll add a few more photos after a bit. I just returned home and am getting things settled.

I can’t wait to get it to the range. Look how flipping tiny it is compared to the monstrous lab radar.

Last edited by HKGuns; 11-22-22 at 09:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interested to hear your report. Interesting that the outer case seems to have been 3D printed.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Interested to hear your report. Interesting that the outer case seems to have been 3D printed.
    Everything, including the mounts appear 3D printed.

It is a very sturdy material.

Feedback Score
    I 3D printed a AI spigot to Sinclair Bipod adaptor- and I load the hell out of that bipod, and those that know me know that I can put some umpf behind it. If designed right, with the right material, and I add some mechanical support to potential failure points- 3D printed stuff is the way to go for limited run stuff like this.

Really interested to see more about it. Labradar is OK, but for 22 it is just barely ok, for 308 it is pretty good. For 22lr subs, I have to use the interial trigger, so I'd be interested to hear how it works with 22PRS type guns/ammo.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lab Radar Killer?

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I 3D printed a AI spigot to Sinclair Bipod adaptor- and I load the hell out of that bipod, and those that know me know that I can put some umpf behind it. If designed right, with the right material, and I add some mechanical support to potential failure points- 3D printed stuff is the way to go for limited run stuff like this.

Really interested to see more about it. Labradar is OK, but for 22 it is just barely ok, for 308 it is pretty good. For 22lr subs, I have to use the interial trigger, so I'd be interested to hear how it works with 22PRS type guns/ammo.
    As promised above, this is everything included, even included uSD to SD adapter.

This unit has an expert mode where you can set the measurement range to:

High: 484.9 M/S to 1309.3 M/S - regular rifle rounds

Wide: 242.5 M/S - 1309.3 M/S - Covers subsonic rounds

Mid: Airsoft guns

Low: Can detect the motion of your hand in front of the unit for test purposes.

You can adjust the trigger gain and detection thresholds as well for your intended use case in expert mode if necessary.

I don’t shoot 22 PRS but I have 22LR I can shoot past it.

I’ve read mainly good things about the Lab Radar, my main reason for buying this was I didn’t need more large shit to haul to the range. I have enough already. It weighs only 5.15 ounces and will fit in your pocket.

I could probably test it with a BB gun in my basement.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-22-22 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Pretty interesting. We live by the Magnetospeed currently, but getting that thing off the barrel would be nice.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Pretty interesting. We live by the Magnetospeed currently, but getting that thing off the barrel would be nice.
    I didn't consider the Magnetospeed becuase I didn't want it hanging off the end of the barrel messing with barrel harmonics. Its probably minimal, but would have bothered me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I didn't consider the Magnetospeed becuase I didn't want it hanging off the end of the barrel messing with barrel harmonics. Its probably minimal, but would have bothered me.
    That’s why I went with the LabRadar. I was hoping to try to do some correlation between velocity and impact pony with subsonic 22. Gotten close to doing it, but I figured the magneto speed would added another variable. This looks even better, I agree with the small form factor and what looks like a Picatinny rail mount. It seems with the LabRadar getting it set up and pointed in the right direction, especially for smaller projectiles, is really important. But then you have to finger bang the damn thing which can upset the aim point.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lab Radar Killer?

Since it will be a while until I can get out to shoot, I have a CO2 powered Crosman BB pistol, switched the unit into Medium detection mode and got triggered results every shot.

It has a wifi interface and web browser built into the unit. Here are the results.

The air gun package says “up to 480 FPS or 146 MPS.”
    I’m unsure how consistent these cheap BB guns shoot, but don’t imagine they are precision instruments.

Regardless it was able to trigger and measure the projectile.

A picture of how it was set up, shots were from roughly 12 feet.

Plausible results?
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-22-22 at 20:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lab Radar Killer?

Was a super nice day today so decided to make a range trip.

Rifle: 16” Colt barreled build
    Rounds: Federal XM193
    Headstamp: LC 05

I started off trying to use the Andi on a tripod which turned out to be tricky to get readings.

Mounted it on the rail to the side and it worked perfectly on default settings. Triggered and read every single shot after mounting this way.

Below is a picture of the setup for another string of 762 tests.

I brought Federal XM193 to shoot through it as it is probably something everyone can relate to……

Below is the data from the XM193 I ran through it and the data looks good to me.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the performance. Mount it, push a button to arm and shoot. It stays armed between shots until you disarm by hitting the button again.

Hit one button to change strings and it automatically saves the prior string to the SD card. I used an external power pack as you can see in the picture, only to augment the internal battery.

To me this looks very much like XM193 data and performance.

ETA: I didn’t completely understand SNR and Confidence interval in the data sets, so I asked the product inventor if he could explain it in more detail. He answered in less than 10 minutes. (I don’t know him and am not affiliated in any way, I simply bought his product.)

Cliff Notes: Higher SNR is better and it directly relates to the Confidence interval.

Shot 1 in the string, with 90% probability, the true velocity is 2970.0 +/- 1.7 fps.

Shot 4 in the string, with 90% probability, the true velocity is 2987.9 +/- .8 fps.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-23-22 at 15:45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast