I spend time up in the NC foothills and recently , we`ve been having some issues with black bear coming up on people`s decks , front porches etc . Coyotes are also beginning to be a problem with them coming up on decks and porches .... seems they have lost all fear of humans . This is a very rural area with the closet town 20 miles away and a whopping 4200 population , just what we wanted .
However , I have to take the dog out at night before bedtime and really would not wnat to surprise one , but it can happen . Not looking to hunt the bears/coyotes , just want something to stop them if I have to . I`m not looking for trouble , but want to have something to stop them if we can`t get away . Dog is a 100 lb Dobeman who thinks he`s invincible , but we all know better than that ..... also , he`s always on a leash at night and never left alone outside anytime .

I`m familiar with the Glock 10mm , but wondering if there is anything else out there I should consider .

So , you guys that have the 10`s , I`d like to know some pros and cons on what you use ..... all my stuff is either 9mm or .45 ..... thanks