Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centurion Recce VS. Griffin HEDP Barrel (fluted)

Feedback Score

Centurion Recce VS. Griffin HEDP Barrel (fluted)

I'm looking to swap my BA Hanson barrel for something a bit more precise for a 2.5-10 topped SPR upper. This barrel hasn't been bad. It shoots mk262 consistently 1.5moa with me as the shooter. That said, I want something that's an absolute tack driver that I can stretch out to 750 with confidence.

I've loosely narrowed it down to these two barrels (open to other suggestions). Looking for any real world feedback on the two barrels, as there doesn't seem to be much out there on either.

Goals for the upper will to be sub-moa, of course. I'll do a load workup that'll be comparable to mk262.

Will be suppressed pretty much all the time.

Won't be a bench gun.

The Griffin has me intrigued by the weight and the possibility of a longer life due to being nitrided 416 and potentially a smaller gas port? The Centurion has a chamber that's optimized for hot 556 rounds and Centurions reputation is stellar, but it's an extra 9-10 ounces on a rifle that's already heavy.

Thanks for chiming in!

Feedback Score
    Honestly i didnt even know Griffin made barrels. I would go with Centurion because of their proven track record.

I believe they use a Douglass blank for the recce barrel which is high quality

You could also look into have Compass Lake Engineering spin up a barrel with Douglas, Krieger, or Bartlein blanks. They would all fit the role well

Another off the shelf option to consider would be Rainier Arms Ultramatch

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    A Centurion Recce barrel is on my "Do want list"
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I can't comment on the Griffin but my Centurion Recce 16" has been....just ok. The white oak SDM I've had for several years was easily more accurate out of the gate. But my centurion is relatively new. I don't have many rounds through it and haven't done much load work up yet. Jury is still out. It holds 1-1.5 inches with my reloads so far. Not bad accuracy in general but not quite what I expect from a relatively expensive barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    I can't comment on the Griffin but my Centurion Recce 16" has been....just ok. The white oak SDM I've had for several years was easily more accurate out of the gate. But my centurion is relatively new. I don't have many rounds through it and haven't done much load work up yet. Jury is still out. It holds 1-1.5 inches with my reloads so far. Not bad accuracy in general but not quite what I expect from a relatively expensive barrel.
    Wow, I'm not even sure what to say. I have a few of the MK12 based Centurion barrels and my groups make me smile each time I go out.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    What rounds are you using?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Wow, I'm not even sure what to say. I have a few of the MK12 based Centurion barrels and my groups make me smile each time I go out.
    I was hesitant to say anything because Centurion Arms has an excellent reputation around here that is well deserved. It's not my intent to besmirch it. I've used a few of their products and I'm a fan. This barrel just hasn't wowed me yet . But I'm working on it. I need to find some time at the reloading bench and the range to figure out what works.

Quote Originally Posted by msnyder0609 View Post
    What rounds are you using?
    My own handloads. I primarily use Nosler 77 grain custom competitions over H322 or XBR but I've also put some RMR 69 grain HPBT and Hornady 62 grain HPBT through it. I'm going to focus on the 69s and 77s and see what I can do.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)

My own handloads. I primarily use Nosler 77 grain custom competitions over H322 or XBR but I've also put some RMR 69 grain HPBT and Hornady 62 grain HPBT through it. I'm going to focus on the 69s and 77s and see what I can do.
    Per their site...
    Chamber: optimized for use with MK262 (Black Hills 77gr equivalent)
    I'd start there.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Well, I went ahead and ordered the 14.8" Griffin because it's 30% off right now. Too good of a deal to pass up not to try given the specs.

I have a bunch of Tac, 77smks & RMR 69 grainers to load up, as well as about 30 rds of actual mk262 to serve as a baseline.

Barrel will go into a SOLGW upper receiver with the super rigid Ripcord LDR1 rail and will sit on a Hodge lower. Should make for a really solid build!

Feedback Score
    Definitely looking forward to getting the results of the Griffin barrel.
    I was heavily debating about getting one of their uppers this weekend with the sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast