Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Centurion Recce VS. Griffin HEDP Barrel (fluted)

Feedback Score
    Well, I got the 14.8" HEDP barrel in. I'll preface this by saying the barrel remains uninstalled so I'm not commenting on its ability to be a great shooter or not. Simply sharing my initial first impressions, which aren't great.

I think whoever drilled the gasport was drunk. Measured with a pin gauge set, wait for it... .085

When I read in a product description "suppressor tuned gas port" I'm expecting something in the .074-.076 range. Not something that'll eat the weakest ammo with the heaviest buffer on Earth.

Included gas block has a very loose fit. This day in age I expect something with some tighter tolerances.

I'm going to reach out to Griffin and see if this is just a gross oversight on the gas port. That said, not having a probably spec'd gas port yet claiming the port is "suppressor tuned" doesn't instill confidence in the barrel.

Again, haven't shot it and may just return it, but those are my initial impressions.

EDIT - I spoke with Griffin and they confirmed that the spec for these 14.8" barrels is indeed .085. Reason being that "the Wylde chamber requires more gas for proper extraction." They also mentioned that they'd originally run these with an .074 port, but due to customer returns for under gassing they opened them up to .085 as that was the spec that ceased customer returns due to under gassing.

I decided to return the barrel as I didn't want to deal with something that is that overgassed, IMO as it would be run pretty much suppressed all the time. For the time being, I tossed a 13.9 Criterion Core I'd had on hand in the upper. If that can get me to consistent MOA or slightly under with 77s or 69s, I'll be happy. If not, I'll order the Centurion.

Last edited by msnyder0609; 12-08-22 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by msnyder0609 View Post
    Well, I got the 14.8" HEDP barrel in. I'll preface this by saying the barrel remains uninstalled so I'm not commenting on its ability to be a great shooter or not. Simply sharing my initial first impressions, which aren't great.

I think whoever drilled the gasport was drunk. Measured with a pin gauge set, wait for it... .085

When I read in a product description "suppressor tuned gas port" I'm expecting something in the .074-.076 range. Not something that'll eat the weakest ammo with the heaviest buffer on Earth.

Included gas block has a very loose fit. This day in age I expect something with some tighter tolerances.

I'm going to reach out to Griffin and see if this is just a gross oversight on the gas port. That said, not having a probably spec'd gas port yet claiming the port is "suppressor tuned" doesn't instill confidence in the barrel.

Again, haven't shot it and may just return it, but those are my initial impressions.

EDIT - I spoke with Griffin and they confirmed that the spec for these 14.8" barrels is indeed .085. Reason being that "the Wylde chamber requires more gas for proper extraction." They also mentioned that they'd originally run these with an .074 port, but due to customer returns for under gassing they opened them up to .085 as that was the spec that ceased customer returns due to under gassing.

I decided to return the barrel as I didn't want to deal with something that is that overgassed, IMO as it would be run pretty much suppressed all the time. For the time being, I tossed a 13.9 Criterion Core I'd had on hand in the upper. If that can get me to consistent MOA or slightly under with 77s or 69s, I'll be happy. If not, I'll order the Centurion.

Thank you for the information. Do you have any more updates?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

It's good that Griffin got back to you with a transparent and honest answer. But, it sucks having a bunch of idiot fudds running Tula ruin what could be an otherwise outstanding barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Now, I’m really glad I didn’t pick up one of their HEDP barrels for a second 300 BLK upper.

Feedback Score

complete BS from them and you are correct.074-.076 with .076" working fine on unsuppressed barrels.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    It's good that Griffin got back to you with a transparent and honest answer. But, it sucks having a bunch of idiot fudds running Tula ruin what could be an otherwise outstanding barrel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It really is a shame. I kinda wish SAAMI standardized a minimum pressure and charge weight since the cartridge is intended for autoloaders, but that probably wouldn’t help, either. We all suffer because people are stupid.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    I was hesitant to say anything because Centurion Arms has an excellent reputation around here that is well deserved. It's not my intent to besmirch it. I've used a few of their products and I'm a fan. This barrel just hasn't wowed me yet . But I'm working on it. I need to find some time at the reloading bench and the range to figure out what works.

My own handloads. I primarily use Nosler 77 grain custom competitions over H322 or XBR but I've also put some RMR 69 grain HPBT and Hornady 62 grain HPBT through it. I'm going to focus on the 69s and 77s and see what I can do.
    You're not alone...
    My Cent Mk12 barrels were lasers and had them do a recon with a Bartlein blank when they were starting with in-house stuff a few years ago. The chamber was not as forgiving (didn't want to extract BH blue-box 77gr reman live rounds) and was not at the same level of my older Mk12's. Was pretty "meh" with Mk262 but not enough to raise hell with them but not up to what I was expecting. For some reason it LOVED some 52gr match stuff I fed it.

That said, I just got a 14.5" SPR middy from them that I'm very excited to test here later this month so (fingers crossed).
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 12-12-22 at 12:03.

Feedback Score
    Surprised Griffin in this day and age is making gas ports that big. You would think they would’ve learned from Daniel Defense and their Mk 18 barrel fiasco. Took years for DD to lose that reputation long after they shrunk their Jenna Jameson sized gas ports.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duroSIG556R View Post
    Thank you for the information. Do you have any more updates?
    Indeed I do! I returned the Griffin barrel.

Originally I'd inquired about Centurion Vs the Griffin. Well, I ended up finding a winner with a 13.9 Criterion CORE.

Spent the day with it yesterday at the bench with a lead sled and a bunch of 77gr Sierra Matchkings loaded with various charges of Ramshot Tac. Found a charge it really likes. 24 grains, ended up shooting two of the best groups I've ever shot. Right at .6moa.

Also shot a few more groups that each had a flyer, but the other 4 rounds are in that same ballpark. Pics aren't chronological, first pic is the LAST group I shot as I was making scope adjustments to try and get zeroed.

The barrel also printed 2 groups right at 1" with my bulk handloads (55 grain Everglades version 2, 24.5 grains Tac)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12