Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pros and cons of WMLs

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

pros and cons of WMLs

The tendency with a user CAN be to sweep the target with the muzzle before intent to fire. I understand there are trade offs and personal training is a big issue. How do you as an individual train yourself not to sweep and still be able to use the light effectively?

The alternative being to use the support hand to hold a flashlight and that having its own pros and cons.
    Last edited by Waylander; 12-06-22 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    What “pros” are you referring this question to?
    LEO?
    Military?
    Competition shooters?
    RLTW
    Danger Close Knows No Atheists.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’m sure someone will come along to explain this better, but here’s my two cents. Use the spill of the light to help identifying threats and non-threats. Don’t over use your light. You can use a handheld even if you have a wml. Just know how to shoot with a handheld. Sweeping a non-threat is not the end of the world. Remember, all of the 4 firearms rules can be violated individually, it’s when you start violating them in combination that bad things happen.

Feedback Score
    I'm not an "expert" by any stretch of the imagination, but having done a lot of shoot house training in no-light and low-light, I have WMLs on all of my guns (pistol and rifle) because they are extremely useful. I also frequently carry a little Streamlight Pro Tact flashlight in my pocket at night that i can use to identify things when needed, without drawing a pistol.

But if you have a weapon drawn, you are probably in a situation where flagging may happen, and trigger control is important. And you can still light someone up with the light spill without having the gun pointed directly at them.

Feedback Score
    Take a class and learn how to use a weapon light and call it done.
    I'll never understand why people are so cheap that they refuse to learn how to use their tools properly.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .45fan View Post
    Take a class and learn how to use a weapon light and call it done.
    I'll never understand why people are so cheap that they refuse to learn how to use their tools properly.
    First I think I need to get up to your level on Keen Observations. The wife has been on me since we got married.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    First I think I need to get up to your level on Keen Observations. The wife has been on me since we got married.
    Communication is key to a successful marriage. If you want to be on top. Just tell her.

Ok... Thread ruined

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This is a tricky topic. In AZ if I light up someone with a pistol mounted light in public and they turn out to be innocent of anything, I could be charged with Agg Assault for pointing a gun at someone.

This is one reason I don't like pistol mounted lights. I definitely carry my light separate from my pistol when out walking the dogs... that way I could light anyone approaching without worrying.

Rifle, on the other hand is an "in home" weapon, so anyone inside who doesn't belong there is legally subject to lethal force in AZ. Plus trying to shoot long gun with a handheld light is exhausting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is a tricky topic. In AZ if I light up someone with a pistol mounted light in public and they turn out to be innocent of anything, I could be charged with Agg Assault for pointing a gun at someone.
    This is an excellent point and something I’d not considered. I really doubt AZ is the only State where this is the case. I need to check my State laws but I’m pretty sure it is the same as AZ.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    This is an excellent point and something I’d not considered. I really doubt AZ is the only State where this is the case. I need to check my State laws but I’m pretty sure it is the same as AZ.
    As a civilian, why would you have a pistol drawn in public if there wasn't an immediate threat? I don't think anyone is advocating using your pistol light to just check things out. And if there is an active threat that justifies the use of deadly force, i highly doubt you're gonna get slapped with Aggravated Assault charge for having a drawn pistol.

This situation dictates the tool, and if you just need to check out a "potential" threat, most cell phones have a decent light, and there are many small pocket light options for that. Nobody should be drawing a pistol casually in public.

When it comes to actually engaging targets, i much prefer engaging with a weapon mounted light vs holding a flashlight while shooting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast